More Layers Than "Front" and "Back"

Discuss all feature requests you have for a new Servoy versions here. Make sure to be clear about what you want, provide an example and indicate how important the feature is for you

More Layers Than "Front" and "Back"

Postby chartpacs » Wed Oct 11, 2006 2:25 am

This might have been asked at ServoyWorld 2006, but is it very difficult to add the ability to have more than two layers on a form? I guess what I'm asking for is the Web equivalent of z-index. Maybe this could be a form property where we can manually specify the layer number (1=top, 10=bottom). Heck, maybe even a special "0" layer which means "always floats on top".

I was thinking of Bob Cusick's "fake FID" demo at Servoy World, and it would be easier to replicate if we had finer control over the layers. I can think of other uses, too.
Regards,
Servoy Developer
Version 3.1 beta2-build 401
Java version 1.5.0_06-64, Mac OS X 10.4.8
chartpacs

Postby swingman » Wed Oct 11, 2006 11:57 am

What do you mean by front and back?
That you can move item to front or to back, or is there some feature I haven't discovered?
Christian Batchelor
Certified Servoy Developer
Batchelor Associates Ltd, London, UK
http://www.batchelorassociates.co.uk

http://www.postgresql.org - The world's most advanced open source database.
swingman

Postby chartpacs » Wed Oct 11, 2006 4:11 pm

Hi Christian,

When you select a form object, you have the option to either Bring to Front or Send to Back. I was just wondering if we could have more layers in-between, so maybe there could be menu items like Bring Forward and Send Backward. Or alternatively, we could manually specify a number representing the layer for each object.
Regards,
Servoy Developer
chartpacs

Postby Robert Huber » Sun Oct 15, 2006 7:21 pm

Hi All

It would be extremly helpful and speed up things a lot to have layers for a form, they could be limited by number (I think 5 would be already enough), as this would make layouting so much easier, opposed to stacked objects (set to front, set to back), of course this is my opinion only. May be other developers have wished that also for a long time in a development tool, but it never seems to arrive ;-)

Best regards, Robert

chartpacs wrote:Hi Christian,

When you select a form object, you have the option to either Bring to Front or Send to Back. I was just wondering if we could have more layers in-between, so maybe there could be menu items like Bring Forward and Send Backward. Or alternatively, we could manually specify a number representing the layer for each object.
Robert Huber
7r gmbh, Switzerland
SAN Developer
www.seven-r.ch
Robert Huber

Postby chartpacs » Mon Oct 16, 2006 8:53 pm

Hi Robert,

I think some screenshots might help the Servoy engineers understand why we developers would like more layers. Please visit the following website I did for my sister-in-law:
http://www.harmoniousliving.net/portfolio.html
(I don't care about the spinner graphic for now)

When you click on a photo, a semi-transparent overlay gets displayed, and then you see the photo. I would like to simulate this in Servoy, where the overlay sits between the base form and the fake FID.

Does that make sense? Not only would the overlay provide a nice visual, but it would also (hopefully) block the user from clicking on any visible elements on the base form. My initial efforts to simulate this have been unsuccessful.

Here is a description of the attached photos:
1) There's one of the base form
2) There's another with the base form + fake FID (looks OK there)
3) There's another with the base form + overlay + fake FID (doesn't look so good)

I'm not using a semi-transparent graphic, but I wanted to illustrate that I can't seem to get the fake FID to appear on top.
Attachments
spongepacs_overlay.jpg
spongepacs_overlay.jpg (43.3 KiB) Viewed 2937 times
spongepacs_fake_fid.jpg
spongepacs_fake_fid.jpg (54.71 KiB) Viewed 2936 times
spongepacs_base_form.jpg
spongepacs_base_form.jpg (75.81 KiB) Viewed 2936 times
Regards,
Servoy Developer
chartpacs