Clearer event dispatch

Discuss all feature requests you have for a new Servoy versions here. Make sure to be clear about what you want, provide an example and indicate how important the feature is for you

Clearer event dispatch

Postby imJames » Fri Feb 02, 2007 7:28 pm

When you use portals, events are hard to manage. I mean, some events will be fired twice or in an order that is not easy to guess. I don't really understand what the events cascading order is.

And when you have portals into portal things get worse.

I find myself writing quite a lot of code to solve that.

For example what I do is the put a lable outside the form (on the left) and set a text value into it when the event is fired (the text value represents the input of the method that will update the view).

If the same event is fired another time, I check the value of the label to determine if I should actualize the view of not.

I put this request in "feature request" because this is not a bug.

I don't have any good solution to give you but I wanted to let you know the difficulties I'm experimenting.
imJames

Postby IT2Be » Fri Feb 02, 2007 7:45 pm

Don't use portals and certainly when things are more complex. Instead use table view or list view. Much more flexible and controllable...
Marcel J.G. Trapman (IT2BE)
SAN partner - Freelance Java and Servoy
Servoy Components - IT2BE Plug-ins and Beans for Servoy
ServoyForge - Open Source Components for Servoy
IT2Be
Servoy Expert

Postby imJames » Sat Feb 03, 2007 12:13 pm

Did I say portal? I wanted to talk about tabpanels :oops:

Inside a tabpanel I put forms which sometimes contains another tabpanel to show a list for example.
imJames

Re: Clearer event dispatch

Postby Harry Catharell » Sun Feb 04, 2007 2:08 pm

imJames wrote:When you use portals, events are hard to manage. I mean, some events will be fired twice or in an order that is not easy to guess. I don't really understand what the events cascading order is.

And when you have portals into portal things get worse.

I find myself writing quite a lot of code to solve that.

Despite the fact that portals have been mistakenly quoted instead of tabs, there is a good point here regarding event firing order which I fall foul of a lot with things like tabs within tabs.

Is there a resource anywhere which has a definitive order of precedence in which events are fired and, just as importantly, when events don't fire when you think that they should :?

Cheers
Harry
Harry Catharell

Return to Discuss Feature Requests