System Valuelists

Discuss all feature requests you have for a new Servoy versions here. Make sure to be clear about what you want, provide an example and indicate how important the feature is for you

System Valuelists

Postby Michael Mooney » Wed Jun 13, 2007 11:01 pm

Hi Servoy-Dev,

I wouldn't mind seeing some "System Valuelists" in Servoy for developers that are editable.

For example, in 3.5 rc 2 there is the idea of Default Formats for a column - great add and appreciated!

If format strings could go into a Valuelist (name-value pair) it would be very handy and aid standardization during the development cycle. An example would be for some of the more "involved" format strings (e.g. - Postgres or Oracle DateTime with TimeZone). Once defined and given a meaningful label for development it would be a time saver.

On my wish list as well:

1. A User Forum subject area for user contributed things like this ... perhaps a dynamic db list ... the community could then contribute to the idea hopper. Things from these tables/lists could then be vetted by Servoy Engineering and included in the product if seen to be useful for the product as a whole.

2. The name-value pair for Format Strings might have 2 states: Display Value and Stored Value to build into the overall column display/db-write attribute set.

Thanks for your consideration,

Michael
Michael Mooney

Re: System Valuelists

Postby Jan Blok » Fri Jun 15, 2007 3:49 pm

Michael Mooney wrote:1. ... perhaps a dynamic db list ...

Not sure if I do understand you correctly, but a custom value list can be filled in scripting
Michael Mooney wrote:2. The name-value pair for Format Strings might have 2 states: Display Value and Stored Value to build into the overall column display/db-write attribute set.

Are you aware you can use I18n keys in format strings? does this help you?
Jan Blok
Servoy
Jan Blok

Postby Michael Mooney » Fri Jun 15, 2007 6:12 pm

Jan,

I am thinking about when I am in design mode and when a developer is assigning the Format string to an element or column ... these are system valuelists (or pick lists/options) ... not user editable lists/options at present (unless I am missing something?)

Thanks

Michael
Michael Mooney

Postby Joas » Fri Jun 15, 2007 10:46 pm

You can fill a valuelist dynamically with whatever you like, check the sample of application.setValueListItems()
Code: Select all
//Fill a custom type valuelist with values from array(s) or dataset
//set display values (return values will be same as display values)
application.setValueListItems('my_en_types',new Array('Item 1', 'Item 2', 'Item 3'));
//set display values and return values (which are stored in dataprovider)
//application.setValueListItems('my_en_types',new Array('Item 1', 'Item 2', 'Item 3'),new Array(10000,10010,10456));
//do query and fill valuelist (see databaseManager for full details of queries/dataset)
//var query = 'select c1,c2 from test_table';
//var dataset = databaseManager.getDataSetByQuery(controller.getServerName(), query, null, 25);

//application.setValueListItems('my_en_types',dataset);
Joas de Haan
Yield Software Development
Need help on your project? yieldsd.com
Joas
Site Admin

Postby Michael Mooney » Fri Jun 15, 2007 11:12 pm

Joas,

Thanks and understood.

Can you also do this with the Design time Field.Format property?

Michael
Michael Mooney

Postby bcusick » Sat Jun 16, 2007 12:00 am

Field format is for data masks (e.g. "###-##-####" for social security numbers).

You can set a default format at design time, and then change it on the fly (e.g. US versus international phone numbers).
Bob Cusick
bcusick

Postby Michael Mooney » Sat Jun 16, 2007 12:12 am

Thanks Bob, appreciated!

Yes ... I use the design time format mask frequently. I am suggesting that the *list* that a developer sees in the format field (design time text field property) be editable and expandable ... for the purposes of aiding standardization and consistency of the data and application/solution model.

As well, my current db model incorporates a run-time settable format string/mask that the solution itself manipulates (e.g. - for country level postal code and phone numbers). I am focusing more on the available default design time settings in this feature request.

Thanks

Michael
Michael Mooney

Return to Discuss Feature Requests