Switch User (vs. Logout/Login)

Discuss all feature requests you have for a new Servoy versions here. Make sure to be clear about what you want, provide an example and indicate how important the feature is for you

Switch User (vs. Logout/Login)

Postby sean » Thu Jun 28, 2007 2:07 am

Feature request / Call for Ideas:

I am developing a large solution which has a long load time ~ 30 sec. However one of my client's crucial needs is that many users may use the same machine over the course of a day and those users need to be able to log in very quickly.

Are there any plans to have a feature to "Switch Users"?
...Basically to quickly change the logged-in user in a way that would affect security settings and creation user id auto-enter types, etc. But obviates the need to reload the whole solution. Does this request make sense? If so, consider this a feature request.

I can imagine a way around it by implementing my own security logic but I'm hoping to avoid that.

ideas?
sean

Postby Michael Mooney » Thu Jun 28, 2007 3:43 am

Hi Sean,

We probably aren't the heaviest load solution (nor the most experienced developers by far ... only been into Servoy for about 5 months now).

However, load times (against reasonable size tables and row counts, less than stellar servers and lan response/latencies time, moderate spindle speeds on the drives, etc, etc) here aren't anywhere near where you are suggesting ... and we routinely login and log back on at a given node.

All ok in other areas of your site/Lan?

Just wondering ... Michael
Michael Mooney

Postby patrick » Thu Jun 28, 2007 8:11 am

Load times of 30 seconds or more are not uncommon. It all depends on the size of the solution...
Patrick Ruhsert
Servoy DACH
patrick

Postby sean » Thu Jun 28, 2007 8:22 am

Well this guy is 20 -30 sub modules, each of which has many forms, relations, and methods...

And this load time is perfectly acceptable for such a large solution. I am just wondering how much of that is necessary to do for each login.

One idea I might pursue is to track the (logged-in) user myself. Switching users would entail verifying the password and changing a global variable that trackes the current user id (Which I use already for global relations). Problem is I use 'creation user uid' a lot and would have to create that auto enter logic myself. This also compromises the log server.

I'm curious if anyone has gone this route, or if anyone has thought about this more.
sean

Postby david » Thu Jun 28, 2007 10:17 am

Rolling your own login is the way to go -- so much more flexibility. We have a version of our application frameworks that is doing a ton of logging. It will even kick idle users out after x amount of time. I don't think there is anything you can't do that Servoy's default login does plus you can do so much more.

One of which is MUCH faster user switching since you don't have to reopen the solution.
David Workman, Kabootit

Everything you need to build great apps with Servoy
david

Return to Discuss Feature Requests