Keyboard buffer and mouse click(s) in array

Discuss all feature requests you have for a new Servoy versions here. Make sure to be clear about what you want, provide an example and indicate how important the feature is for you

Keyboard buffer and mouse click(s) in array

Postby Michael Mooney » Wed Aug 01, 2007 1:38 am

I could use a method that returns the content of the keyboard buffer (e.g. - last key pressed or an array of the last 10 keystrokes for the Shift-Ctrl-T sort of things) and the last mouse event (right, left, single, double). This should be in conjunction with knowledge of the last object (in context - e.g. - form.name in tabpanel.name with field.name) that had focus. I do mean "focus" as compared with say a "getMethodTriggerElementName..." sort of thing.

Here is where this feature is handy for me:

1. Creating event driven Help Systems. What was the last known focus when F1 was pressed?

2. Interrupting application.sleep() pauses. Let's say I post a message for a user and set the sleep to 10 seconds or so. A new user would be glad for the longer pause (he is unsure ...). A more accomplished user knows about what's coming up and in less than 250ms he wants to get on with it. I realize there currently are workarounds to this situation. By the way - a dialog that "hangs around for x seconds while execution continues" is also handy.

3. Allows for development of even more engaging and creative forms and applications ... especially with the ever-opening world of Ajax 8)

The advantage of having an application level test of the hardware input buffers is that one is not tied to events occuring on a given element or set of elements.
Michael Mooney

Return to Discuss Feature Requests