UUID (motion seconder to Patrick/ some design particulars)

Discuss all feature requests you have for a new Servoy versions here. Make sure to be clear about what you want, provide an example and indicate how important the feature is for you

UUID (motion seconder to Patrick/ some design particulars)

Postby Michael Mooney » Wed Aug 01, 2007 11:35 pm

Also affirming Patrick's (Dr. Maison ...) earlier request for UUID/GUID for AutoEnter. Ideally, when forming a Primary Key, to store as a 16 byte field native with options for casting to ascii (36 bytes + overhead) . See discussions below for additional useful design info:

http://code.google.com/p/polarrose-postgresql-uuid/
http://joseph.randomnetworks.com/tag/postgresql

Thanks

Michael
Michael Mooney

Postby IT2Be » Thu Aug 02, 2007 12:20 am

Michael, hate to be a pain in the ass but this should go in the support system...
Marcel J.G. Trapman (IT2BE)
SAN partner - Freelance Java and Servoy
Servoy Components - IT2BE Plug-ins and Beans for Servoy
ServoyForge - Open Source Components for Servoy
IT2Be
Servoy Expert

Postby Michael Mooney » Thu Aug 02, 2007 12:36 am

Marcel,

No worries - glad to oblige. Must admit I am a bit confused though: I don't know the difference between feature requests (ie - here via this forum area) and feature requests in the Support System (I noticed just the other day the classification of support topics as a 'feature request').

When do you post here and when do you post in the Support System?

I will go ahead and post this in the Support System regardless. :)

Michael
Michael Mooney

Postby IT2Be » Thu Aug 02, 2007 12:44 am

Well, it is very easy.

You can try the forum to see if a feature request should become a request.

Double check that you might have missed something or see if somebody can tip you. Maybe tell you it is already filed in the support system.

After that it should go into the support system...

The same as with issues.
Marcel J.G. Trapman (IT2BE)
SAN partner - Freelance Java and Servoy
Servoy Components - IT2BE Plug-ins and Beans for Servoy
ServoyForge - Open Source Components for Servoy
IT2Be
Servoy Expert

Postby pbakker » Thu Aug 02, 2007 9:06 am

Michael,

Gave you an explanation of the difference between the forum and the Support system in topic http://forum.servoy.com/viewtopic.php?p=43949 as well...

Missed that?

Paul
pbakker

Postby Michael Mooney » Thu Aug 02, 2007 7:05 pm

Hi Paul,

No, I didn't miss that. I was also thinking (in error looks like) that when Servoy is moving through pre-release (beta, rc's approaching final) that this was being treated somewhat separately.

I am starting to understand that the Forum essentially becomes the vetting or triage point and then once a concept is "hardened" it can be passed through as a Feature Request via the Support System.

Where it (still) becomes a bit confusing (hopefully I am not the only one! :lol: ) is that there are 2 entry points, conceptually, into the notion of a Feature Request: via the Support System and *also* via the Forum sub-area (Feature Requests). The Forum sub-area description *clearly* says to post *all* Feature Requests here ... which is why I was of a divided opinion between the Forum and the Support System.

Anyway, if it's just me that is getting confused then I will adjust my thinking ... my intention is to post to the correct area!

Appreciate all your ongoing help,

Michael
Michael Mooney

Postby olivier melet » Mon Aug 06, 2007 10:07 am

Hi all,

We already posted a feature request for this with id =83435 a few weeks ago. UUID is definitely the pk of choice in complex multi-user -site -corporations environnements. I just referred this topic in our request.

Bug report Id 83435 wrote:Ability to set UUID as auto-enter value in column properties

As you [servoy] introduced the get UUID function, it would be convenient to be able to either choose it as auto-enter value and also as sequence type for pk columns...

UUID should be the pk of choice for Servoy sequences in a multi user environnement and will provide at least two major improvements:
- User can use servoy sequences while keeping the ability that data may created and manipulated out of servoy solution.
- Data from several customers using the same solution with UUID as pk will be easy to consolidate.
Not to mention the ability to use 'in memory' transactions in multi-user environnements, which could be a real pain without UUID as pk...

We already use UUID 36 char representation as pk since more than one year trough a inhouse plug-in. This works like a charm...
Olivier Melet
Administration et projets
InfoForm SA
olivier melet

Return to Discuss Feature Requests