Why Servoy IS SOOOOOOO Cool!

Share business templates, ideas, experiences, etc with fellow Servoy developers here

Why Servoy IS SOOOOOOO Cool!

Postby mattman » Fri Apr 09, 2004 10:57 pm

Take a look at the attached picture (you must be registered and logged in to see it) and allow me to explain.

What makes Servoy so cool is the fact that Java is multi-threaded. On top of this, you can run multiple copies of your client on the same machine because they each run in their own memory space. Try this with FileMaker, Access or Lotus Notes!

This is a picture of my desktop with a copy of Servoy Developer running through a process of sending email to a couple thousand registered users on my web site. Behind it is a copy of Servoy Client that I opened along side the copy of developer. If I wanted, I could open any number of clients as long as I don't run out of licenses and memory (I have 1GB so I could handle many copies of Servoy running at the same time). This means I can still work with the database while one client runs a process and the other is free to use.

Here's the great part. THREADS!!!!!! Oh my GOSH! When I used to do this process with FileMaker, FMP would totally HOG the CPU for well above 90% CPU usage. Make notice of the fact that my copy of Servoy developer is only consuming an average of 10% when it is the foreground OR background. The spikes you see in the CPU Usage History was me using Photoshop!!!!! WHILE my Servoy process was sending out email.

This picture and the power of Servoy is a testament to the forethought and plain, unabashed, simple COOOOOOLNESS that the Servoy developers are putting into such a powerful application. WAY TO GO SERVOY!!!!

P.S. Yes, I posted this message and read the forums while my Servoy was cranking away! :)
Attachments
ServoyThreads.gif
Watching Servoy CPU Usage
ServoyThreads.gif (154.44 KiB) Viewed 4011 times
Matt Petrowsky
mattman

Postby AHunter3 » Fri Jul 02, 2004 7:26 pm

Yeah, cool.

Try this with FileMaker, Access or Lotus Notes!

OK.

[/img]
AHunter3

Postby mattman » Fri Jul 02, 2004 8:21 pm

AHunter3 wrote:Yeah, cool.

OK.

If you're going to reply to a post like this then be prepared to backup any retort. I'm typically not one to respond to comments like this when they are uninformed, but still feel I must for the sake of other FileMaker Pro users who see your follow up.

The simple act of opening multiple copies of the same program is NOT a test of performance - which was the point of my posting. On top of this, the fact that each open copy IS consuming 10% or more JUST SITTING IDLE is actually pretty funny (not to mention you should have killed Servoy. Unless your Java process running at .4% is some other app or applet, 20% compared to .4%, for being idle, is a big difference)

In my picture, I am showing a process that is moving through thousands of records - at 10% consumption. If you started a looping process in just ONE of your FileMaker windows then your top will show percentages that will exceed 50-80% for any copy doing ANYTHING more than sitting in layout or browse mode. FileMaker cannot compare in terms of performance because of Java and multi-threading. It doesn't mean I'm saying FileMaker is a bad application, as your reply would imply that's what I'm saying. Quite the contrary, I enjoying using both applications.

In a nutshell....

I'm calling your flame.

%your comment > /dev/null

FOLLOWUP WRITTEN JUST MINUTES LATER: After seeing that you are new to both FMP7 and Servoy (but not to FileMaker) I will retract my redirection to /dev/null and instead provide the following.

tar xvzf ./uninformed.tar.gz "your comment"
Matt Petrowsky
mattman

Postby stephan » Fri Jul 02, 2004 10:32 pm

:lol:
stephan

Postby mattman » Sat Jul 03, 2004 2:27 am

mattman wrote:
AHunter3 wrote:Yeah, cool.

OK.

If you're going to reply to a post like this then be prepared to backup any retort. I'm typically not one to respond to comments like this when they are uninformed, but still feel I must for the sake of other FileMaker Pro users who see your follow up.

The simple act of opening multiple copies of the same program is NOT a test of performance - which was the point of my posting. On top of this, the fact that each open copy IS consuming 10% or more JUST SITTING IDLE is actually pretty funny (not to mention you should have killed Servoy. Unless your Java process running at .4% is some other app or applet, 20% compared to .4%, for being idle, is a big difference)

In my picture, I am showing a process that is moving through thousands of records - at 10% consumption. If you started a looping process in just ONE of your FileMaker windows then your top will show percentages that will exceed 50-80% for any copy doing ANYTHING more than sitting in layout or browse mode. FileMaker cannot compare in terms of performance because of Java and multi-threading. It doesn't mean I'm saying FileMaker is a bad application, as your reply would imply that's what I'm saying. Quite the contrary, I enjoying using both applications.

In a nutshell....

I'm calling your flame.

%your comment > /dev/null

FOLLOWUP WRITTEN JUST MINUTES LATER: After seeing that you are new to both FMP7 and Servoy (but not to FileMaker) I will retract my redirection to /dev/null and instead provide the following.

tar cvzf ./uninformed.tar.gz "your comment"
Matt Petrowsky
mattman

Return to Sharing Central