FileMaker To Servoy: A Step-By-Step Tutorial

Share business templates, ideas, experiences, etc with fellow Servoy developers here

Postby bcusick » Wed May 12, 2004 10:58 am

Hi All,

I just wanted to let you know that I just put together a comprehensive, step-by-step (literally!) guide on converting a FileMaker solution to Servoy.

We start with the basic "Contact Manager" template in FMP 6 - and move it over to a fully working (enhanced) version in Servoy. All feedback is welcome - and I hope this helps.

http://www.clickware.com/

Cheers,

Bob Cusick
bcusick

Postby Harjo » Wed May 12, 2004 1:36 pm

Very cool en helpfull guide to learn the basics of Servoy!

Keep up the good work!
Harjo

Postby swingman » Wed May 12, 2004 4:04 pm

Excellent! If only this one had been around when I got started with Servoy!

I'm looking forward to part 2 -- moving a massive 50 table FileMaker database to Servoy :wink:
swingman

Postby pcbg » Sat Nov 13, 2004 2:04 pm

Thanks, Bob, for writing this wonderful Tutorial!

I started with it yesterday, but got stuck from page 27.

I'm using Win 2000 Prof O/S, Servoy Version R2.21

rc5-build 308, Java Version 1.4.2_04-b05 and Sybase

iAnywhere ASA database.

The Server Config window from my version of Servoy is

slightly different from the one shown in your tutorial

on page 27. It has 4 additional fields, namely: Max

Active (default value=10), Max Idle (default value=5),

Validation Type (default=Exception Validation) and

Validation Query (default empty), plus a Check Box with

"Enabled" checked.

If I leave all the 4 new fields' default data intact,

I'll keep getting an error message: "Cannot setup

server"

The error details states: "java.sql.SQLException: JZ00L:

Login failed. Examine the SQLWarnings chained to this

exception for the reason(s)"

Changing the Validation Type field to "Meta data

validation" and "query validation" also triggered the

same error message.

But when I unchecked the "Enabled" check box, I can go

to the Application Preferences window, listing the

"contact_mgmt" server inside (of course without the

quotes). However, the "contact_mgmt icon is greyed,

unlike all the others which are green.

The red type text "changes become effective ....." also

correctly appeared at the bottom of the dialog. But

after I close and reopen Servoy, and created the new

solution - "contact_mgmt" (without the quotes), I can't

find the newly-created "contact_mgmt" server inside the

"Using Server" pop up menu on the "New Form" window.

Please see Screen shots in attached JPG file.

I checked the Sybase Config file in the Sybase_db

folder, and the database/contact_mgmt.db string is

correctly listed in there as, shown below:

-ti 0 -x tcpip{dobroadcast=no} -qs -qw -o

sybase_db/sybase_log.txt
database/servoy_repository.db
database/user_data.db
database/example.db
database/log_data.db
database/crm.db
database/contact_mgmt.db

Please advice where have I possibly gone wrong.

Thanks very much again, Bob.

Regards:
Attachments
Screenshots.jpg
Screenshots.jpg (86.01 KiB) Viewed 11117 times
Terry
pcbg

Postby grahamg » Sat Nov 13, 2004 5:10 pm

Hi Terry

Agree with you that Bob's Tutorial is a must-have.

One 'gotcha' is that after setting up the new Database and adding it to the Config file you must close and restart Servoy and Sybase.

Either reboot or goto Task Manager and Stop the process "dbser8.exe".

Then when you restart Servoy it will automatically fire the Sybase process including your new database.

Goto Edit/Prefs and activate the Connection as you tried before BUT with the [Enabled] box checked.

Should work fine.

Regards

GrahamG
grahamg

Postby grahamg » Sat Nov 13, 2004 5:11 pm

Sorry finger trouble - hit Submit instead of Preview.

Process to kill is "dbsrv9.exe"

GrahamG
grahamg

Postby pcbg » Sat Nov 13, 2004 7:41 pm

Thanks very much, Graham.

I closed and restarted Servoy, but don't know how to close and restart Sybase (first time using Sybase), so I rebooted.

But after reboot, when I clicked on the Servoy icon, an error message says: "Can't connect to the repository server specified in the application preferences."

The error message details states:
"java.sql.SQLException: JZ006: Caught IOException: java.net.ConnectException: Connection refused: connect"

I'm using Win 2000 Prof O/S. I can't find any Task Manager to close and reopen Sybase.

Hope someone can throw some light.

Thanks.

Terry
Terry
pcbg

Postby david » Sun Nov 14, 2004 11:41 am

Get rid of the < > characters from around "CONTACT_MNGMT".

David
david

Postby pcbg » Sun Nov 14, 2004 7:37 pm

Thanks David, for highlighting this error. However, looks like there are still other problems, because even with <> removed I'm still getting the identical error message: "Cannot setup server"

The error details still states: "java.sql.SQLException: JZ00L:

Login failed. Examine the SQLWarnings chained to this

exception for the reason(s)"

I'm not sure if it has anything to do with my McAfee Firewall, and do I need to remove it, or has it anything to do with my Servoy Licence key.

After purchasing my Servoy Developer, I received an email with my Registration Code shown as : SD123ServoyDeveloperEdition (I'm using 123 after SD here to represent another real 3-digit number. And below my email, it shows another 19 digit code: 5435476-135243-171234 (This is not the real number). When I entered SD123ServoyDeveloperEdition as the License Code in the Application Preferences, I kept getting a message that I'm using a trial copy everytime I opened Servoy. But when after I entered 5435476-135243-171234 as the license code, it initially also displays the same message, but out of the blue no more messages appear. Do you know which is the correct license code ? The former code shown above <SD123ServoyDeveloperEdition> does not have any spacing. Not sure if that's correct.

Thanks.

Regards:
Terry
pcbg

Postby david » Sun Nov 14, 2004 8:06 pm

Terry,

Your CONTACT_MGMT database is not starting up for some reason (and it has nothing to do with your license key). This is one of those things that takes 30 seconds to figure out the cause if I was sitting in front of your computer and almost impossible to help you with remotely.

Some prior knowledge of SQL databases and how to manage them is helpful. If Servoy is starting up for you and you can open up the CRM application, then Servoy is a happy camper and any new data connections is up to you (and there are zillion ways to connect to new data sources and just as many corresponding ways for a connection to fail!).

I suggest skipping this step for now in Bob's tutorial. To do this, simply rename the "user_data" connection to "CONTACT_MGMT" and you can continue on from there. Learn how to get around in Servoy a bit first and you'll pick up a lot of little things along the way that will help make your next attempt at connecting to a new data source succeed.

Have you also checked out all the movies that Bob did recently? I have them all listed on Servoy Magazine.

David
david

Postby pcbg » Mon Nov 15, 2004 9:38 am

Thanks for this great suggestion, David.

Your CONTACT_MGMT database is not starting up for some reason (and it has nothing to do with your license key). This is one of those things that takes 30 seconds to figure out the cause if I was sitting in front of your computer and almost impossible to help you with remotely.

Some prior knowledge of SQL databases and how to manage them is helpful. If Servoy is starting up for you and you can open up the CRM application, then Servoy is a happy camper and any new data connections is up to you (and there are zillion ways to connect to new data sources and just as many corresponding ways for a connection to fail!).

I suggest skipping this step for now in Bob's tutorial. To do this, simply rename the "user_data" connection to "CONTACT_MGMT" and you can continue on from there. Learn how to get around in Servoy a bit first and you'll pick up a lot of little things along the way that will help make your next attempt at connecting to a new data source succeed.

Yes. My Servoy is starting up correctly. I also renamed "user_data" to "contact_mgmt" in the Database folder and Sybase.config file, and it works. I'll proceed from here first.

Have you also checked out all the movies that Bob did recently? I have them all listed on Servoy Magazine.

No. I just logged in to the Servoy Magazine and found 7 movies on Servoy, with other articles. I will bookmark this site and check it out.

Thank you very much again, David.

Best Regars:
Terry
pcbg

Postby pcbg » Mon Nov 15, 2004 11:49 am

Hi Bob,

on page 37 of your Hands-On Primer, it says we can import the file called "contact_mgmt_02.servoy" in the "Builds" folder of the download files. But the "fmp_to_servoy_tutorial" zip file I downloaded contains only a PDF file, a Contact Management.fp5, a contact_mgmt_03.servoy, a contact_mgmt_wdata.servoy, and all other JPG and Gif files. There's no "Builds" folder and no file named as "contact_mgmt_02.servoy"

Where do I download this file?

Thanks very much.

Best Regards:
Terry
pcbg

Postby pcbg » Tue Nov 16, 2004 5:35 pm

Hi!

does anyone know where to import the file called "contact_mgmt_02.servoy" ?

I can only find the contact_mgmt_03.servoy and the contact_mgmt_wdata.servoy in the downloaded zip file.

Thanks very much.

Best Regards:

Postby Harry Catharell » Tue Nov 16, 2004 6:02 pm

Hi Terry,

I believe that there were a few errata in the tutorial and when I followed it I simply used the contact_mgmt_03.servoy version.

I don't believe that it was any different than '02' or that a '02' version actually existed (well. maybe originally but was replaced with '03' !!) but I used it anyway !

Harry
Harry Catharell

Postby pcbg » Wed Nov 17, 2004 9:54 pm

I see.

Thanks very much, Harry.

Best Regards:
Terry
pcbg

Next

Return to Sharing Central