New Servoy (old FM) developer - my experiences

Share business templates, ideas, experiences, etc with fellow Servoy developers here

New Servoy (old FM) developer - my experiences

Postby Dexadrine » Thu Aug 24, 2006 3:42 pm

Just thought I would note down a few experiences I have had over the past two months or so I have spent developing applications in Servoy.

I have been developing database solutions for my company for around 2 years in Filemaker. A couple of months back, a member of staff send me a link to the Servoy site as he thought I may be interested to read about the product. I have to admit I had never heard of Servoy.

After reading a bit about Servoy my interest was piqued, especially the aspect of being able to easily connect to multiple SQL DBs. After this I took a look at some of the flash tutorials on the Servoy site and knew that this was the app I was looking for.

I downloaded the Developer demo and started to play around. Some of my observations have been:

- I was reasonably familiar with Javascript, I found that the learning curve for designing effective scripts in Servoy is a lot steeper than in Filemaker. I did however get a "eurika!" moment when everything fell into place with Servoy scripts and the methods really began to flow.

- The Servoy community is excellent, the forums (after some digging around) are very helpfull, as are the flash tutorials ("I've got tha powah!", hehe, very cheesy), Servoy Magazine etc.
McGilly's Beginners Guide is essential reading (I wish it had been around when I first started with Servoy).

- Most, if not all, of my frustrations with Filemaker (anyone who has dev'ed in FM will know the usual suspects) were solved when using Servoy.

- The potential and flexability of the app really does knock FM into a cocked hat.

- After demoing some proof of concept stuff dev'ed in Servoy to the board, we purchased a copy of Servoy Developer and some client licenses to get us off the ground. I am currently developing a major application in Servoy (using MySQL as the backend) and looking to migrate quite a few of our FM DBs to Servoy in the near future.

- I now love Servoy

Thanks Servoy!

Paul, London.
Dexadrine

Postby IT2Be » Thu Aug 24, 2006 4:03 pm

Hi Paul,

Welcome! I saw this is your first post so the welcome is applicable...

Nice to see that you are as enthousiastic as many of your fellow Servoy developers (as well as I am) and many former FM developers.

Have fun!!!

Cheers,
Marcel J.G. Trapman (IT2BE)
SAN partner - Freelance Java and Servoy
Servoy Components - IT2BE Plug-ins and Beans for Servoy
ServoyForge - Open Source Components for Servoy
IT2Be
Servoy Expert

Wow! Nice compliments, thanks!

Postby BDuncan » Fri Aug 25, 2006 8:49 am

Wow - thank you for the nice compliments. You made our day here at Servoy, Inc.

Best wishes and thank you again.
BDuncan

Postby amcgilly » Wed Aug 30, 2006 8:56 pm

Paul,

Welcome aboard the Great Ship Servoy.

As a newcomer, you may find some useful information in my handbook, the Servoy Beginner's Handbook, available for free at my website, www.mcgilly.com.
Adrian McGilly
Servoy Developer

amcgilly

Return to Sharing Central