Building Solution Installers

Share business templates, ideas, experiences, etc with fellow Servoy developers here

Building Solution Installers

Postby Westy » Fri Jan 19, 2007 5:47 pm

We have been trying to build an installer that will perform a seamless installation of: (1) our Servoy solution, (2) Java, (3) Windows services, and (4) Adobe Reader. We already have an Installer VISE for Windows installer that installs our solution.

We found instructions for a silent install of Java (which can disable the Java auto-updater) at:

http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.4.2/docs/gui ... ilent.html

We found instructions for a silent install of Adobe Reader at:

http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/ ... ftpID=3564

Now we need to combine all of the above. Unfortunately, we are running into timing issues. Installer VISE does not appear to be capable of pausing for the time required between each call to the above items 2, 3, and 4.

Is anyone out there aware of another Windows installer that might be capable of handling these timing issues?

Dean
Westy

Postby IT2Be » Fri Jan 19, 2007 6:04 pm

I don't know anything about installer vise but can't you kick the installers of both mentioned products after finishing installing all needed components?
Marcel J.G. Trapman (IT2BE)
SAN partner - Freelance Java and Servoy
Servoy Components - IT2BE Plug-ins and Beans for Servoy
ServoyForge - Open Source Components for Servoy
IT2Be
Servoy Expert

Postby Westy » Fri Jan 19, 2007 6:17 pm

Number 2 needs to be completely installed before number 3. Okay, you've got me thinking some more. Maybe we can call number 4 after number 1 and call number 2 and 3 from one bat file that is called from the Adobe Reader installer. Seems like there could still be timing issues between 2 and 3. I will give it a try. Now if we can just figure out a way to keep the end user from exiting before all these out of line processes are completed. :D
Westy

Postby jw teunisse » Wed Jan 24, 2007 6:42 pm

Why do not you use NSIS installer, it's free and does silent installs and is scriptable.

JWT
jw teunisse

Postby IT2Be » Wed Jan 24, 2007 6:47 pm

I can imagine because NSIS is a Windows installer. IzPack is no alternative either I guess since this is a Java installer (free as well)...
Marcel J.G. Trapman (IT2BE)
SAN partner - Freelance Java and Servoy
Servoy Components - IT2BE Plug-ins and Beans for Servoy
ServoyForge - Open Source Components for Servoy
IT2Be
Servoy Expert

Return to Sharing Central