PAGE_OUT_DIR Path

Questions and answers on developing, deploying and using plugins and JavaBeans

PAGE_OUT_DIR Path

Postby kwpsd » Fri Jul 29, 2022 8:58 pm

Servoy NG 2021.12

Our solution uses Jasper Reports. We have a customer who is complaining that they no longer can print reports. The Servoy error log show many of the following errors:

The indicated PAGE_OUT_DIR path: 'C:\Program Files\Apache Software Foundation\Tomcat 8.5_ARM-Servoy\temp' is not a valid path.
The indicated PAGE_OUT_DIR path: 'C:\Program Files\Apache Software Foundation\Tomcat 8.5_ARM-Servoy\temp' is not a valid path.
The indicated PAGE_OUT_DIR path: 'C:\Program Files\Apache Software Foundation\Tomcat 8.5_ARM-Servoy\temp' is not a valid path. (Form Context: orders_batch_cage_card), JSEvent(type = action, source = RuntimeScriptLabel, formName = orders_batch_cage_card, elementName = <no name>, timestamp = Thu Jul 28 10:14:38 PDT 2022,modifiers = 0,x =21,y = 15,data = null)
The indicated PAGE_OUT_DIR path: 'C:\Program Files\Apache Software Foundation\Tomcat 8.5_ARM-Servoy\temp' is not a valid path. (ARM_core/forms/JasperPrintPreview/showJasperReport#100)

I cannot find any documentation regarding the path setting PAGE_OUT_DIR. I did a cursory search of configuration files and am unable to find it (e.g. Servoy, Jasper Reports, Tomcat, Java, etc.). Does anyone know?

The customer IT personnel said they uninstalled an earlier and dormant version of Servoy 8.3 when the report problem started.

Thanks!
Kim W. Premuda
San Diego, CA USA
kwpsd

Re: PAGE_OUT_DIR Path

Postby jcompagner » Mon Aug 01, 2022 9:41 am

this is about jaspers virtualization, if you search for it you get this:

https://www.servoyforge.net/issues/340

default the pageOutdir is

String pageOutDir = System.getProperty("java.io.tmpdir");

and i have a feeling that that is the above dir, stupid thing is, its in "c:\Program Files" you are not supposed to write in that dir and i think that goes wrong when we test it:

String virtErrMsg = null;
File testDir = new File(pageOutDir);
if (!testDir.exists())
{
virtErrMsg = "The indicated PAGE_OUT_DIR path: '" + pageOutDir + "' is not a valid path.";
Debug.error(virtErrMsg);
throw new JRException(virtErrMsg);
}
else testDir = null;

i think we should enhance this message a bit more how to then set that to a correct dir (see that old case)

or you must make sure that the java.io.tmp dir is pointing to a writable dir.. (though a system property that you set when starting up tomcat)
i find it a bit weird that it is set to that because by default for me it is really the windows tmp

java.io.tmpdir=C:\Users\jcomp\AppData\Local\Temp\

so i think tomcat is overriding that somehow

What you also can do is not install tomcat in c:\program files but in its own dir where it has full access rights.. (also handy for the logs)

Edit: tomcat config: https://serverfault.com/questions/13523 ... r%20Tomcat.
Johan Compagner
Servoy
jcompagner

Re: PAGE_OUT_DIR Path

Postby kwpsd » Thu Aug 04, 2022 7:59 pm

Hi, Johan.

It was great to see you in Marina del Rey!

To get the customer up and running, I created the temp folder as follows (from the error message):

C:\Program Files\Apache Software Foundation\Tomcat 8.5_ARM-Servoy\temp

I will discuss with the customer IT folks regarding moving Tomcat out of the Program Files folder.

A comprehensive error message would be helpful as I had no indication what was occurring or why.

Thanks so much for the excellent explanation, too! Now, I understand what is going on. :)
Kim W. Premuda
San Diego, CA USA
kwpsd

Return to Plugins and Beans