plugin overview doc and/or examples?

Questions and answers on developing, deploying and using plugins and JavaBeans

plugin overview doc and/or examples?

Postby Blatwurst » Mon Jan 05, 2004 6:49 am

I'd like to learn to write plugins. So far, all I've found to help is http://developer.servoy.com/docs/plugin-api. This document doesn't seem to have any overview; rather it's just a class reference doc.

Is there an overview doc somewhere that explains how to put a plugin together and how to install it? Are there any plugin source examples available?

I believe I might have to get down to the C/C++ level eventually. Can anyone offer any advice in this area? I assume that I'll go thru Java first, and then to C. Other than blowing away cross-platformness, is Servoy going to have any fundamental problem with this idea?

TIA, and Happy New Year to all!

Steve Johnson
Blatwurst

Postby jcompagner » Mon Jan 05, 2004 11:56 am

Why would you do C/C++? What are you trying to make?

For sample code look in the plugins dir for example mail.jar does have the source for you to look at.

You will have to make youre own jnlp and sign youre code because if you do some native things you have to include a DLL in the jnlp code. (see a example jnlp file of the scheduler plugin)
Johan Compagner
Servoy
jcompagner

Postby Harjo » Mon Jan 05, 2004 12:11 pm

which programs do you recommend, to open these jar's and view them?
Harjo

Postby jcompagner » Mon Jan 05, 2004 12:18 pm

If you just want to look at the code
then you can unzip the jars (jars are just zips) and look into the dir structure.

If you want to make youre own plugin or view the code a bit better then you could try ecliipse (www.eclipse.org).

Then make a java project in eclipse and in the project settings you can add those jars to the build/classpath. (then you also have to attach the 2 j2db* jars
Johan Compagner
Servoy
jcompagner

Postby Guest » Mon Jan 05, 2004 9:30 pm

Thanks for the help! I thought to look in a plugin .jar for source, but i picked the wrong one.

I figure I might need to use C/C++ to drive fax and scanner hardware.

Steve

PS: From what I've seen so far....Servoy Rocks!

Return to Plugins and Beans