The Rookie Rides Again - Reporting engines

Questions and answers on developing, deploying and using plugins and JavaBeans

The Rookie Rides Again - Reporting engines

Postby RonG » Tue Jan 11, 2011 5:10 am

Hi all,

Well, here I am trying to do some reporting in my application. From what I can tell, my options as far as a solution that integrates well in Servoy, because there are Plugins for them, are Jasper Reports and Velocity Reports. So, a couple of questions.......

1. At the risk of starting a holy war on report preferences, does anyone have any thoughts on a preference for jasper over velocity, or vice versa?

2. I have downloaded and installed the latest version of iReports, which brings along JasperReports as well. They are now at Version 4. Will this work with what appears to be the current Jasper Report plugin, which has a version number of 3.1 in ServoyForge? I've been able to establish a connection to my database and generate a simple report using iReport, so I know that it's functioning, but before I try to install the plugin, I figured I'd check to see if it will work. Or do I need to go back to an older version of JasperReports?

I've looked at the Servoy U videos, but they seem to be a bit dated, going back to Servoy 3. The basic concepts seem to be the same. I haven't been able to find a requirements note that specifies what version of JasperReports is needed.

As always, thanks a lot for your thoughts.

Ron
Ron Gafron
Aspen Ridge Arts/WorkingArtist software
RonG

Return to Plugins and Beans