Making dashboard with Jaspersoft

Questions and answers on developing, deploying and using plugins and JavaBeans

Making dashboard with Jaspersoft

Postby nerd.mike.wilson » Sat May 04, 2013 11:28 am

I need to design a dashboard, I researched alot and finally end up with Jaspersoft. I found it as the best solution.
It 's the first time I want to use any jaspersoft products, and it looks alittle bit nasty to me :D
I have tones of questions, and I am confidant enough that here is the best place to get my answers.
Ok, for the first step, How I can get drilldown reports in dashboard? I saw that ad hoc report easily produce drill down report.
Last edited by nerd.mike.wilson on Mon May 06, 2013 3:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mike Wilson
nerd.mike.wilson

Re: Making dashboard with Jaspersoft

Postby mnaeimi » Sat May 04, 2013 9:43 pm

It 's not possible to use ad-hoc report in dashboard. To add your reports to dashboard there is two options:
1- generating reports in jasperserver
2- generating reports with iReport than then import .jrxml files as a report to jasperserver.

If you have to make a complicated reports, my suggestion is second option. iReport is an opensource designer for jasperreports. It 's very powerful designer and it has ability to generate very complicated reports.

For drilldown reports you have to create them by yourself via hyperlink from your master report to detail report.

Mina
Mina @ Servoy
mnaeimi

Postby nerd.mike.wilson » Mon May 06, 2013 3:10 am

Thanks Mina for your reply. Yes, iReport seems cool.

My reports are mostly crosstabs. I couldn't figure out how to reach details of each item in crosstab. How I can get collection of my ids?
Do you have any suggestion?
Mike Wilson
nerd.mike.wilson

Postby mnaeimi » Mon May 06, 2013 10:49 am

Well, it 's a bit tricky! Crosstab won't get you list of ids. Its measures values are based on some parameters or input controls or row-groups and column groups values. So, when you want to click on one of those measured value to see the details what you need is to pass these parameters or variable to your drill-down report and make a new query based on them to reach the actual values. It means that your drill-down report gets all needed parameters from main report and makes it's own query.

You can try this way:
- in crosstab click on the field you need to drill-down on detail report.
- right click on the field and Set hyperlink to your drill-down report
- pass all parameters you need.
- pass row group or column group variables.

It should work fine. I tried it and works fine with me.

let me know it you have any further questions.
Mina @ Servoy
mnaeimi

Postby nerd.mike.wilson » Tue May 07, 2013 2:06 pm

Mina,

I 'm struggeling with it! it doesn't work.
Can you give me an example?

Thank you
Mike Wilson
nerd.mike.wilson

Postby mnaeimi » Thu May 16, 2013 5:55 pm

I know it is a bit late but in case you haven't find the solution yet:

for example I have a report in my dashboard which is showing number of sold out products during last 6 month in specific country.
What I do here is I pass country parameter $P{country} to my report to filter data based on specific country. Then in crosstab I set row group to $V{product_type} and column group to $V{date}. So, the value is shown in crosstab is $V{product_idMeasure} which is based on these 2 variables ($V{product_type} and $V{date}) and the country parameter ($P{country} ).

So, what I need here for my drilldown report is to send these 2 variables and 1 parameter through hyperlink to my drilldown report and make the query in drill down report based on them.

Is it clear now?
Mina @ Servoy
mnaeimi

Postby nerd.mike.wilson » Fri May 17, 2013 1:41 am

Nice one!
I didn't have any progress these days between I couldn't connect to forum. But it 's clear now. Definetely I will back to you soon ;)
Thank you Mina.
Mike Wilson
nerd.mike.wilson

Postby nerd.mike.wilson » Tue Jun 18, 2013 11:09 am

Hey Mina,

I am back with another wonderful question for you :)

I am trying to sort data in crosstab in specific order not default crosstab order! So, the option 'pre-sorted-data' doesnot work for me.
Any advice for me?
Thanks in advance.

Mike
Mike Wilson
nerd.mike.wilson

Postby mnaeimi » Wed Jun 19, 2013 10:04 am

Mike,

As far as I know there is two options:
1- writing a java comparator class: there is a property *Comparator exp* for each field, its value should be compatible with java.util.Comparator.
2- handling it through SQL query (easiest option): you can add one new column to your query and sort your data based on that column, for example:
select
fieldname,
case
when fieldname='sort1' then 1
when fieldname='sort2' then 2
when fieldname='sort3' then 3
end as sortfield
from
tablename

then add this column as a rowGroup or columnGroup and select "order" property type to order Asc or Desc.

Mina
Mina @ Servoy
mnaeimi

Return to Plugins and Beans