Calling Methods / Showing forms ... from plugins and beans

Questions and answers on developing, deploying and using plugins and JavaBeans

Calling Methods / Showing forms ... from plugins and beans

Postby stephan » Sat Jun 12, 2004 12:48 pm

I'd like to integrate closely a bean/plugin with servoy forms and methods (global methods and methods in forms).

I would like to know how to:

1) Call a method defined in the Servoy Method Editor from the bean or plugin.
2) Show a form from the bean or plugin.

Does anyone knows how that can be achieved.
I haven't found any examples in the source code of the plugins developed by Servoy that would do this.
stephan

Postby jcompagner » Tue Jun 15, 2004 1:23 pm

1> this is how the scheduler plugin works.
The method that you call has to be set from the outside. Currently you can't do that by name. like xxxx.executeScript('thisscript');

2> currently not possible, we don't expose this functionallity yet in our client interface.
Johan Compagner
Servoy
jcompagner

Postby stephan » Wed Jun 16, 2004 11:19 am

I understand that I can't do that today but I'd like to know your intentions on the subject.

Are you (Servoy) against exposing this functionallity in your client interface?

If you (Servoy) are not opposed to exposed this functionality in your client interface, when can we expect it? In the version 2.1, 2.5 or much later?
stephan

Postby Jan Blok » Thu Jun 24, 2004 12:52 am

stephan wrote:If you (Servoy) are not opposed to exposed this functionality in your client interface, when can we expect it? In the version 2.1, 2.5 or much later?

We are not opposed its only very hard todo..ideas/suggestions are welcome :)
Jan Blok
Servoy
Jan Blok

Postby stephan » Thu Jun 24, 2004 8:13 am

I don't understand why it would be hard to do:
you are already doing it.

Isn't just a matter of exposing the functionality in one way or another? I can't give you ideas or suggestions as I don't know how things are organized internally.

IMHO, a plugin developer should be able to do at least what a developer can do in the Method Editor and probably more.

I would love to create a plugin that would empower people to do whatever they want with the menu bar in the Client (remove it, change it, customize it ... whatever). I don't want to expose just the java methods to the servoy developers but I would prefer to create a little gui to let people manage the configuration.

I personnaly believe that an infinite knowledge of Servoy's internal workings cannot hurt its development. For example some people might want to submit a correction for some bug, additional functionality. As the code is owned by Servoy, you decide what goes in or not, you decide the direction you want to give to Servoy.

Plugin developement is only relevant when 1) Servoy doesn't offer you (yet:-) an easy way to do xyz and 2) you have the power/knowledge as a plugin developer to do xyz.
stephan

Postby Jan Blok » Thu Jun 24, 2004 10:15 am

My previous post was about a standard bean, talking to Servoy API, thats hard or impossible todo.
Over time we will expose more in the API's.
BTW in plugin api you will see that showing a form is possible via the IFormManager, so you could make a special (Servoy dependend) bean invoking that method.
Jan Blok
Servoy
Jan Blok

Postby stephan » Thu Jun 24, 2004 10:20 am

Oops, I have missed it. I'll take a look.

Thank you.
stephan

Return to Plugins and Beans