UserManager registration error

Questions and answers on developing, deploying and using plugins and JavaBeans

Re: UserManager registration error

Postby bevil » Thu Jan 31, 2019 10:13 am

I am having a problem with code signing when trying to deploy a Servoy 7.4 install, so I have switched to Servoy 8, and I now have the same problem as above, with the same plugin.

I have done all the whitelisting EXACTLY as irene.meyer1422261887 did it, and which apparently worked, but I am still getting a whitelisting error here.

:(
bevil

Postby mboegem » Thu Jan 31, 2019 4:07 pm

Hi Bevil,

Which version of the user manager plugin do you use?
Back in time (2015) there was an issue with the plugin in Servoy 8, this was resolved. (http://www.servoy-plugins.de)

To be honest, I don't believe that I've ever had to whitelist the plugin and I'm using it in almost every project.
Marc Boegem
Solutiative / JBS Group, Partner
• Servoy Certified Developer
• Servoy Valued Professional
• Freelance Developer

Partner of Tower - The most powerful Git client for Mac and Windows
mboegem

Postby bevil » Thu Jan 31, 2019 11:15 pm

Hey Marc.

Thanks for the reply. Hope all is well. :)

I have just downloaded whatever the latest version of servoy-plugins.de installer, and installed in the latest version of Servoy 8.4, on a freshly installed late 2018 Mac Mini, running Mojave.

Everything brand new.

I have tried adding to the whitelist, in EXACTLY the same way the other person said worked, but here no.

I have had to install for the client today, and disable the function of being able to use the usermatager plugin. :( Don't know what to do.
bevil

Postby bevil » Fri Feb 01, 2019 8:43 am

Also, I also use Usermanager everywhere, with no problems.. It is only this particular install on this whole new / fresh setup that is not working...
bevil

Postby patrick » Sun Feb 03, 2019 5:31 pm

May I ask what all of you are still doing with the UserManager plugin? I had planned to deprecate that. It was nice in the past when it solved a few issues that could not be solved otherwise, but today, almost 95% of the plugin's functionality is built into Servoy itself.

So what are the features that make you still use a very old plugin? Please let us know...
Patrick Ruhsert
Servoy DACH
patrick

Postby mboegem » Mon Feb 04, 2019 2:37 am

Hi Patrick,

glad you ask what it is used for, below a quick list of stuff I could think of.
Please keep in mind that all of this list is used by applications running smart-client, but also on NG-client for example, most of the functions are still needed.

Maybe the list below is only 5% of the plugin, but it's the most important 5% of stuff that can not be done otherwise.
Also it's not just a list of usecases I made up, but is actually used in active code.

Would be more than happy to see if there's another solution, or explain usecases in more detail.
You do have my contact details for this.
Deprecating the plugin would definitely mean loss of functionality to the user, but also for developers in order to automate deployment.

SERVER
* Get / Set properties file value (default servoy properties as well as custom properties) > Servoy can't do this at all
* Get batchprocessor settings > Servoy can't do this at all
* Get DbConnections > Servoy can't do this at all
* Get Servoy install directory > Servoy can't do this at all
* Access serverfiles / copy serverfiles > Big advantage is the freedom to access any folder on the server, Servoy can't do this unless launching a HC.

CLIENT
* Generate overview all connected users > Servoy can do this, but can only retrieve very limited info
* Send messages to clients > Servoy can't do this, unless you access the admin page using http requests
* Get client details (ip-address, mac-address, memory settings, system user name, etc.) > Servoy can't do this, at least not from the perspective of the server or 1 client retrieving data from other clients;
* Kill clients (cleanup after x hours idle time) > Servoy can't do this
* Get / Set additional info (custom data objects using JSON) > Servoy's addClientInfo is no where near a replacement for this. First of all, that's all readable on the admin page, 2nd: you can not get a value from what has been set
* Execute client side function > Servoy can't do this at all
Marc Boegem
Solutiative / JBS Group, Partner
• Servoy Certified Developer
• Servoy Valued Professional
• Freelance Developer

Partner of Tower - The most powerful Git client for Mac and Windows
mboegem

Postby patrick » Mon Feb 04, 2019 2:02 pm

Hi Marc,

regarding your points:

* Get / Set properties file value (default servoy properties as well as custom properties) > Servoy can't do this at all

true, and why is that needed?

* Get batchprocessor settings > Servoy can't do this at all

also true, but what is your use case of retrieving this in any client?

* Get DbConnections > Servoy can't do this at all

Why needed?

* Access serverfiles / copy serverfiles

That big advantage of having the freedom to access any file is also a huge security hole. I wonder if a feature request that would allow to register a number of directories and access those would help here?

* Generate overview all connected users > Servoy can do this, but can only retrieve very limited info

What info are you missing? And you could add basically any info to the client info...

* Send messages to clients > Servoy can't do this, unless you access the admin page using http requests

False! The clientmanager plugin can do that.

* Kill clients (cleanup after x hours idle time) > Servoy can't do this

Also false, see above (except for the automatic part, that would need a headless client).

* Get / Set additional info (custom data objects using JSON) > Servoy's addClientInfo is no where near a replacement for this. First of all, that's all readable on the admin page, 2nd: you can not get a value from what has been set

You can add anything (also JSON) to the client info. Don't see what you are missing then. Why is it a problem that this kind of info is viewable on servoy-admin?

* Execute client side function > Servoy can't do this at all

With the UserManager this only works for smart clients. I have been (mis-)using some internal API for that which is simply not implemented for other client types. You could file a feature request for that to be added to the clientmanager plugin. That could be a useful addition.
Patrick Ruhsert
Servoy DACH
patrick

Postby bevil » Tue Feb 05, 2019 1:33 pm

Hi Patrick

I use it for streaming files to and from Servoy, and the reason I still use it is that until now, it has worked perfectly on all my solutions, so there was never a reason to remove it. Since removing it and replacing it with Servoy functionality takes time and effort, and I have very little time, I simply carried on using it.

Also, since it works on at least 5 installations out there, it was very unexpected that it would suddenly stop working on a fresh install now. I had no choice but to go and install my solution, and tell the (new) customer that this functionality (streaming images to the application) is not currently working, and that I don't know when it will be working because it will take me time to find the solution to the current issue OR to rebuild and test the Servoy built in streaming function.

Is there a solution to this problem or do I have to rebuild this functionality directly in Servoy? (Rebuild for the third time, since it was moved to Usermanager plugin from the IT2BE streaming plugin when that caused problems).

Thanks

Bevil
bevil

Previous

Return to Plugins and Beans