Serial Port plugin

Questions and answers on developing, deploying and using plugins and JavaBeans

Serial Port plugin

Postby omar » Wed Aug 18, 2021 12:25 pm

Hi Guys,

For a client I am using the Prolifix Axis Serial Port plugin to communicate with scales (weighing products on the production line). However, the plugin does not work when included in a package so I am stuck on the Servoy version from before the change to Servoy Packages. Recently I was forced to upgrade to Big Sur. Now when I start Servoy it produces an error: 'Setting up solution explorer tree' has encountered a problem. An internal error has occurred. The servoy.log file does not provide any clues.

Does anybody have an alternative solution for communicating with Serial Ports? Or any ideas on how to get it to work in a newer Servoy version (it is no longer maintained by Prolific Axis)? I am pretty much stuck now. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Kind regards,
Intrasoft, Founder
Omar van Galen
omar@intrasoft.nl
+31-(0)6-21234586
Servoy Developer
omar

Re: Serial Port plugin

Postby pitc » Wed Aug 18, 2021 1:55 pm

Perhaps you could search for usb-serial and for java libraries for same.
For example: https://fazecast.github.io/jSerialComm/
or
https://buy.serialio.com/collections/software
You would have to know Java and build your own jar file.
Tom
prospect-saas.com
pitc

Postby omar » Thu Aug 19, 2021 11:32 am

Hi Tom,

Thank you for your suggestions, I am indeed looking into jSerialComm.

Kind regards,
Intrasoft, Founder
Omar van Galen
omar@intrasoft.nl
+31-(0)6-21234586
Servoy Developer
omar

Postby sbutler » Thu Aug 19, 2021 3:54 pm

The serial port plugin probably only worked in Smart Client where java was able to run on the local client. If you keep using Smart Client on the latest Servoy version, it would probably continue to work. If you switch to Web or NG client, it won't work since there is no java client side connectivity. Servoy Packages are meant for NG components written in JavaScript that run in the browser. Plugins are in Java and they run in Smart Client client-side or Server Side for any servoy client type.

So, if you are moving from Smart Client to NG Client, you'll need to look at using Servoy's Electron Desktop and build a special integration with a node package that does serial port connections. or just keep using the smart client and the old plugin you have will probably keep working.
Scott Butler
iTech Professionals, Inc.
SAN Partner

Servoy Consulting & Development
Servoy University- Training Videos
Servoy Components- Plugins, Beans, and Web Components
Servoy Guy- Tips & Resources
ServoyForge- Open Source Components
sbutler
Servoy Expert

Postby omar » Thu Aug 19, 2021 4:20 pm

Hi Scott,

Sorry for the confusion. On the Mac the Servoy application folders are packaged into 1 Servoy.app. That's what I mean by package. And the plugin does not recognise this and shows the message "License has not been authenticated" even though the required unlock code is used. This is with the smart client of course. I have not tried it with Servoy Desktop (Electron). jSerialComm is probably the best way forward without buying new scales that can be connected over the network. Thanks for your reply.
Intrasoft, Founder
Omar van Galen
omar@intrasoft.nl
+31-(0)6-21234586
Servoy Developer
omar

Postby sbutler » Thu Aug 19, 2021 7:05 pm

Ah, OK. So then its probably just a problem on your Mac in Developer. The plugin probably works fine in a smart client deployment since that still works the same. Might be easier to just keep using it as-is and do any development that uses the plugin in a Windows VM.
Scott Butler
iTech Professionals, Inc.
SAN Partner

Servoy Consulting & Development
Servoy University- Training Videos
Servoy Components- Plugins, Beans, and Web Components
Servoy Guy- Tips & Resources
ServoyForge- Open Source Components
sbutler
Servoy Expert

Return to Plugins and Beans