DBManager plugin

Questions and answers on developing, deploying and using plugins and JavaBeans

DBManager plugin

Postby IT2Be » Mon Feb 07, 2005 12:48 pm

At this moment I am developing a plugin that more or less mimics the Database Manager of Servoy.

Why do I do that you could ask :-)

The reason is simple. I need a connection to a database that isn't always available. Not only would this connection be to read data (if this would be the case I could simply create a DB server and use the Database Manager ignoring error messages when the server is not available) but I also need to update data. For this I would have to create a form and that would imply that I ALWAYS need a connection. In this case an absent server would create lots of error messages I can not ignore anymore.

So, I created a plugin. I can create a db server like I normally do (or I hardcode a connection in my method) and connect through my plugin. I can get a dataset (more over something that behaves like a servoy dataset) and I can update the dataset. Potentially dangerous when you want the data to be used by a servoy solution but in my case I don't need anything else but to get and update data without any other use for the data in Servoy.

Right now I created this functionalitly in another plugin that remains private but I could tear it apart and make it public. It would be a paid project but anybody interested please let me know what you think of it and tell me what you expect it to do...

Cheers
Marcel J.G. Trapman (IT2BE)
SAN partner - Freelance Java and Servoy
Servoy Components - IT2BE Plug-ins and Beans for Servoy
ServoyForge - Open Source Components for Servoy
IT2Be
Servoy Expert

Postby cybersack » Tue Feb 08, 2005 4:02 am

Hi Marcel :)

You know what would be cool if you're going to consider providing framework-style service or functions........Stream handlers.

I don't like the way binaries are stored/read from fields in the Servoy implementation.

It would be nice if someone offered something like:

InputStream is = field.getInputStream();
and
OutputStream is = field.getOutputStream();

Then, we could write more UI-friendly read and write functions.

We could, for example, write a runnable that runs the IO on a SwingUtilities-invoked thread - and not kill the Servoy form UI whilst waiting for this event to complete (loading a 20 MB URL in my Media plugin is my thinking context here).

Julian
cybersack

Return to Plugins and Beans