Servoy Data Stream Plugin

Questions and answers on developing, deploying and using plugins and JavaBeans

Postby bcusick » Tue Mar 08, 2005 5:29 pm

Yes - this is EXCELLENT! We have a couple of customers that might be very interested in this.

Do you have an idea of the licensing and a fee schedule?

GREAT STUFF!
Bob Cusick
bcusick

Postby cybersack » Tue Mar 08, 2005 11:03 pm

Hi Bob and others :)

Right now I am preparing an rc3 (still without capture).

RC3 will have the following improvements:
* tooltips for the method editor
* samples for the method editor
* a floating window where all progress bars will be placed
* (maybe...depending on cancellability) a cancel function on each running request (accessible via the progress bar)
* some better messaging
* a bug fix (to allow multiple concurrent reads/writes to not 'compete' for a single progress UI)

I haven't thought about pricing.
At this point I am far more interested in getting a robust and very usable plugin implementation.

Having said that, I am happy to continue issuing free licences until I have time to give thought to the finances.

It's only a plugin, so in comparison to the cost of Servoy, I believe it shouldnt be significant, but should reflect my efforts and a small profit to cover maintenance etc etc.

The point is that for someone like me who is a Java/C++ coder by trade- and loved Filemaker - Servoy is just brilliant :)
cybersack

Postby cybersack » Sat Mar 12, 2005 3:02 pm

RC3 is released :)

This release is something of a milestone because the plugin provides a historical "downloads" window. The window is popped up automatically a stream request is commenced.

In this window, each download, once complete, supports a "Properties" popup-menu item which identifies the SQL (and parameters) employed for executing the stream request.

You can download the plugins and demo applications from : http://www.practica.com.au/cybersack/me ... 1.0rc3.zip

If you don't yet have a licence, then email me to obtain one.

cheers
Julian
julian@practica.com.au

Please let me know of any issues or wishlist items.
In the absence of Sev 1 bugs, I will now complete the Capture integraton aspect of the Media-Manager plugin.
cybersack

Postby cybersack » Mon Mar 14, 2005 12:16 am

A patch for 1.0RC3 is available at :

http://www.practica.com.au/cybersack/me ... date-1.zip

No new licences are required if you already have the base version licence.

Simply unpack and import the new .servoy file.

This update includes better tooltip, sample and parameter informtation for the method editor.
It also has improved progress stream ui management.

Julian
cybersack

Postby cybersack » Thu Mar 17, 2005 11:36 am

We are satisifed that our RC4 candidate (which is about to be released) is robust enough to migrate to a R1.0 product for both DataStream and MediaManager-Playback.

Your feedback will hopefully confirm this :)

In any case, the pricing structure for the DataStream and MediaManager plugins is defined here:

There will be no Bulk (aka "Developer") Licence Structure.
I think it is unnecessary to introduce complex licensing structures because in each case the plugin(s) you bundle with your product need to be assigned to your end-user client.
As soon as you and your client make the decision that you want these plugins, you simply make the purchase in the name of the client.
Up to that point you may use your own copy of the software (for demonstration purposes only).
As a developer you will have purchased your own copy according to the same pricing scheme.
As soon as the client requires an installation, the licences need to be purchased and will be generated at that point in time.

I can't think of a compelling reason to offer multi-licence packs.
If I am wrong, please let me know.

The DataStream Plugin is required by the MediaManager plugin, so the licence fee for a MediaManager Plugin includes that of the DataStream plugin.

All streaming events are ultimately controlled at the server and so the variant is always in the number of "concurrent clients".
The term "concurrent client" means clients with different IP addresses that use the services available from the DataStream server within a specified period.
The period is likely to be one hour; this is open to your input if you feel there is a better option (so long as it is implementable).

Pricing in Euro:

http://www.cybersack.com/media-manager/pricing_1.0.html

MediaManager-Capture includes MediaManager-Playback which includes DataStream.

If a user already has a licence for either DataStream or MediaManager-Playback, then he can purchase an upgrade for the price difference.

MediaManager-Capture is not yet available.
It will be soon.
Its absence does not affect the usability or availability of the other two.

In all cases, the process of distributing the software will be to place client libraries and licences on the client;
and to place server libraries and licences on the server.

All purchases will receive free updates for a 12 month period.

At this point the MediaManager plugins are available only for the Windows and Linux (and Solaris) platforms.
This is because Apple has not yet provided the performance libraries which exist for these 2 other platforms.
Hopefully these libraries will materialize soon :)

Please send your enquiries to me at : julian@practica.com.au
http://www.cybersack.com/
Cybersack Java Beans and Plugins
cybersack

Postby cybersack » Thu Mar 17, 2005 12:19 pm

I omitted to mention that all support will be via email.
Naturally, I will do my bst to get bugs resolved ASAP.

thanks
Julian
cybersack

Postby cybersack » Sun Mar 20, 2005 8:14 am

Media-Manager and Data-Stream Bundle RC4 has been released.

The software can be downloaded from :

If you have not already downloaded a version later than 1.0rc2, a complete installation can be gotten from:
http://www.cybersack.com/media-manager/ ... 1.0rc4.zip (5200 k)

If you have already downloaded a version later than 1.0rc2, an installation without JFM DLL's or Jar's can be gotten from:
http://www.cybersack.com/media-manager/ ... no-jmf.zip (2362 k)

Also, if you wish to make some feedback about pricing, please email me personally.

Regards
Julian
cybersack

Postby cybersack » Mon Mar 21, 2005 11:26 am

Sorry to hassle :(

I found a last minute bug after I had already uploaded and posted to the list.

After downloading one of the RC4 full releases described above, download this patch (251 KB):

http://www.practica.com.au/cybersack/me ... date-1.zip

Unpack this across your current installations.

Licences are not affected.

julian
cybersack

Previous

Return to Plugins and Beans