DBTreeView Source

Questions and answers on developing, deploying and using plugins and JavaBeans

DBTreeView Source

Postby bobcart » Thu Mar 03, 2005 12:07 pm

Any chance you would consider sharing the source of the DBTreeView bean?
bobcart

Postby Jan Blok » Fri Mar 04, 2005 12:18 pm

It will become open source when we make more Servoy API's open, we just lack the time to support more API's as currently public availeble.
Jan Blok
Servoy
Jan Blok

Postby bobcart » Fri Mar 04, 2005 10:02 pm

Thanks, Jan. I understand the time demand, you guys are really going fast with new features and now there's always the bugs to kill.

Maybe you could consider using open source GPL type arangement for some of the API stuff so we developers could contribute? Servoy could then control quality and the license without having to devote as much development time to things that use the API?
bobcart

Postby Jan Blok » Fri Mar 04, 2005 10:34 pm

The actual problem is that those interface are not always well defined yet, and could change for example for a new product, once we make an API open we can't change it anymore... (if we whould do so we whould break all things developed upon it)
Jan Blok
Servoy
Jan Blok

Postby bobcart » Fri Mar 04, 2005 11:37 pm

You mean you guys don't have the master plan? :)

I understand that managing such an API is extra work. However, if the API that the DBTreeView bean uses changes, then you'll still have to change the DBTreeView to suit. If you just supported the API then we could maintain the beans ourselves saving you part of the effort.

Anyway, I'm mainly interested in the DBTreeView bean right now. I'm making the assumption that DBTreeView is a wrapped subclass of jtreeview from swing? Seems some of the other swing beans like jsplitpane are without wrapper. Is this due to the deeper data access and integration a treeview needs?
bobcart

Postby Jan Blok » Sat Mar 05, 2005 12:30 am

bob cart wrote:Is this due to the deeper data access and integration a treeview needs?

Yes our IFoundset/IFoundsetManager and relation API's
Jan Blok
Servoy
Jan Blok

Return to Plugins and Beans