Servoy 4.1 Final

Servoy announcements

Re: Servoy 4.1 Final

Postby pbakker » Thu Dec 18, 2008 9:45 am

I found something very annoying, maybe related.

After moving a 3.5 solution to 4.1 I saw many warnings.

This issue was this:

In 3.5 it is ok to delete a method that was attached to an event. The Event ignores the missing reference and everything is ok. No warning or whatever.
After an import to 4.1 these methods are still referenced (so it seems) but not available and throw a warning and are '-unresolved-' in the property editor...

Hi Marcel,

Maybe anying in some situations, but it's quite useful in others.

Think of the situation where the method is coming from a module, but you forgot to include the module?

Or you deleted the method thinking it was not used at all, but in fact it was.

Paul
pbakker

Postby megaquests » Tue Dec 23, 2008 11:02 pm

Hi, ive not posted on here for a year or 2, or done any development but am revisiting some old solutions i put a lot of time into.

The version of developer i have installed is R2 2.2.8-build 340 with repository in MSSQL

its a while since ive done an upgrade, could someone please help me out and let me know can i upgrade straight to the latest version or do i need to upgrade to Version 3 first etc?
is there anything i need to be careful of? i seem to remember when version 3 first came out that there were a couple of issues to watch out for.

many thanks
eugene
megaquests

Postby grahamg » Tue Dec 23, 2008 11:20 pm

Welcome back!

I doubt if there are many people around with experience upgrading directly from 2.2.8 to 4.1.0 but it's certainly worth a try.

4.1.0 provides very extensive feedback of errors & problems - not all of them fatal - so be prepared to spend time working your way through the list. You will also find that some commands have moved - for instance SaveData() is now in the Database Manager node rather than Form.Controller but Servoy are very good at retaining backwards compatibility so that will probably not break a solution.

Do feedback any specific problems and will be very interesting to hear how you get on.

Graham Greensall
Servoy UK
ggreensall@servoy.com
grahamg

Postby pbakker » Wed Dec 24, 2008 10:49 am

I'd just make an export of your solution(s) from 2.2.8 and setup a clean separate 4.1 installation and import the solution and give it a test run.

It ought to be fine, but like allready mentioned before, you might get a list of errors and warnings that you will have to work your way through.

Regards,

Paul
pbakker

Postby ROCLASI » Wed Dec 24, 2008 12:55 pm

Hi eugene,

Migrating from 2.2.x to 3.5/4.x should be without too much trouble. One thing you need to keep in mind though that since 3.x using controller.find() doesn't mean anymore it will always go into find mode.
Some data might have not been saved yet to the back-end database or is faulty and can't be saved.
Servoy requires that all data is saved to be able to perform a search on that data (query is send to the back-end database).
So if you have code like this:
controller.find();
myField = "search for this";
controller.search();
And the controller doesn't go into find mode you are actually changing your data (!).

So make sure you trap for this by changing your code like so:
if ( controller.find() ) {
myField = "search for this";
controller.search();
} else {
// couldn't get into find mode...
}

Hope this helps.

NOTE TO FORUM ADMIN: why is BBCode disabled on this forum for us users ?
Last edited by ROCLASI on Wed Dec 24, 2008 1:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ROCLASI
Servoy Expert

Postby pbakker » Wed Dec 24, 2008 1:23 pm

Note: the sample above is only relavant when you have disabled autosave.

Do not know if the option to disable autosave was already present in 2.2.8 though and if you used it if it was.

Paul
pbakker

Postby ROCLASI » Wed Dec 24, 2008 1:38 pm

Hi Paul,

Paul Bakker wrote:
"Note: the sample above is only relavant when you have disabled autosave."

AutoSave or not, when Servoy is not able to save data (because of (db) constraints or otherwise) it won't go into find mode. So checking for this would be wise in all cases. Don't you think so ?
ROCLASI
Servoy Expert

Postby pbakker » Wed Dec 24, 2008 1:53 pm

Ah true, you are right, most common situation would be autosave turned off, but yes, the same would apply with constraints etc on the DB.

Paul
pbakker

Postby david » Tue Dec 30, 2008 7:51 pm

Just want to say that all the code completion enhancements are really appreciated. Variable tracking got a "whoa, cool!".
david

Postby richh » Sun Feb 22, 2009 7:27 pm

We have attempted to upgrade our application server using the batch file updater in the Servoy directory. The following command line editor message appears:

Current Servoy version 628
Checking for new Servoy version
Working in directory: C:\Program Files\Servoy_4
Loading version info...
log4j:WARN No appenders could be found for logger (com.servoy.j2db.util.Debug).
log4j:WARN Please initialize the log4j system properly.
New version available 651

<html><body><br>Servoy 4.1 version<br><br>NOTE: ALWAYS make a backup of your Ser
voy directory and your databases before usage.<br><br><br><a target="_BLANK" hre
f="http://www.servoy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=11663">Build information</a>
</body></html>

Downloading...
No update found
Done, Servoy can be started
Press any key to continue . . .

The result is that we are stuck on version 628. Any suggestions?

Richard
richh

Postby mboegem » Mon Feb 23, 2009 12:58 am

Hi Richard,

I think you'll need to go through beta updates first.
I am not really sure as I don't know which build numbers are beta's, rc's etc.

Anyway: beta's and rc's do need another update command:
java -jar servoy_updater.jar -beta

Please make sure to backup current install-dirs / databases in case things go wrong!
mboegem

Postby richh » Tue Feb 24, 2009 6:44 pm

Thanks for your thought. I have set up a separate test folder on another machine. The update process works fine, looping though all releases from 628 to 651 with no problem. There is no need to manually update through the beta releases.

The problem I encountered appears to be due to my having only restricted Admin access to the machine. Sufficient for me to launch the update, but insufficient for the update process to run fully. It may be that full Administrator privileges must be in place in order to run the update successfully. In my environment, Servoy Application Server is running as one process on a general server box: one on which I do not have full Admin privileges.
richh

Previous

Return to Announcements