wrapper.ntservice.name=ServoyService35

# Display name of the service
wrapper.ntservice.displayname=Servoy Application Server 3.5.7

The duplicate displayname gave the error

Martin
martinh

Re: Servoy 4.1 Final

Postby markhooper » Tue Dec 09, 2008 1:04 am

I discovered the source of the '401 error' that we were getting.
Turns out we have a new 'network police' policy that was blocking our server's successful connection to the download server during the upgrade process.
We ended up having to 'authenticate' our outbound session request - once we did that we were good to go.
markhooper

Postby Harjo » Tue Dec 09, 2008 9:34 am

what I alway do is this, create a batch file: (and place it in the service-folder)

install_servoy_service.bat:

cd..
"%CD%\service\Wrapper.exe" -i "%CD%\service\wrapper.conf"
pause

and uninstall_servoy_service.bat:

cd..
"%CD%\service\Wrapper.exe" -r "%CD%\service\wrapper.conf"
pause
Harjo

Postby amcgilly » Tue Dec 09, 2008 9:25 pm

After upgrading a 4.0.1 installation to 4.1 I some of the icons in the solution explorer have changed (see image). Solutions seem to work fine.

What, if anything, do the changed icons mean?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
amcgilly

Postby david » Tue Dec 09, 2008 9:36 pm

Yellow icon means file system is in sync with repository. Black icon is when file system is different.
[attachment=0]Picture 25.png[/attachment]
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
david

Postby Kahuna » Tue Dec 09, 2008 10:47 pm

[quote="amcgilly"]After upgrading a 4.0.1 installation to 4.1 I some of the icons in the solution explorer have changed (see image). Solutions seem to work fine.

What, if anything, do the changed icons mean?[/quote]

See this post Adrian

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=11439
Kahuna

Postby amcgilly » Sat Dec 13, 2008 1:52 am

Thank you David & Kahuna for your help.

Next question.

I created a 4.1 installation by making a copy of my 4.0.1 folder and running servoy_updater.bat.

Meanwhile development under 4.0.1 proceeded. So to finish the upgrade I committed all my work under 4.0.1 and moved my repository from the 4.0.1 installation to the 4.1 folder? Is that allowed? I ask because when I do this, solutions that showed zero 'problems' under 4.0.1 suddenly are showing problems under 4.1 (see image below). Thanks for your help.
amcgilly

Postby pbakker » Sat Dec 13, 2008 1:21 pm

Error and warning reporting is greatly improved from 4.0.1 to 4.1, so where you had no errors or warnings in 4.0.1, you might get them in 4.1

Paul
pbakker

Postby amcgilly » Tue Dec 16, 2008 1:23 am

I would appreciate some guidance on how to resolve some of the errors I'm getting when I upgrade from 4.0.1 to 4.1.

I have one parent solution and 3 modules under that solution. One of those modules contains core resources (including imageMedia, valuelists, forms) that are shared among different solutions.

Many of the errors are occuring when a property in the parent solution is relying on that module - Servoy is complaining that the form/valuelist/imageMedia doesn't exist. Yet the parent solution is definitely aware of the module, which shows up under the modules nodes, and the resources are definitely there.

If I manually 're-direct' Servoy to the "missing" resource, as soon as I save my work, it goes back to being missing. For missing valuelists, it lets me select the valuelist I want but it reverts to "-unresolved-' when I save my form. For missing imageMedia, I can't even make the correction manually because Servoy doesn't show me the imageMedia from the modules as it did under 3.5 (this problem is being discussed in a separate thread: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=11696&p=58432#p58432). In one case it can't find a form I had placed in a tabpanel - the containsForm property contains "java.lang.Object@14f4ec4" - and if I manually place the form in the tabpanel again, as soon as I save my form the containsForm property for the new tab goes back to "java.lang.Object@14f4ec4".

Thank you for your assistance.
amcgilly

Postby pbakker » Tue Dec 16, 2008 9:58 am

This sounds very odd.

If the structure is as you say (parent contains child contains subchild etc.) and you are referencing objects from the child module in the parent, it ought to work just fine.

Do you get the same issues in a simple sample solution structure?

With regards to the containsForm property in the tabpanel: also very odd, is it reproducable?

Paul
pbakker

Postby martinh » Tue Dec 16, 2008 10:26 am

I've seen exactly the same messages. But since I haven't definitively migrated yet to 4.0 (4.1), I haven't look in detail what causes this error.
But what I do have is the following (maybe that is your case as well)

Solution A --> references Module X
Module X --> references Module Y
Module Y --> references Module X

I know that is not correct, but 3.5 accepted it. So I thought perhaps these errors like you described were caused by this situation.
But in case these references do not cause these errors, then there is probably some problem.
I noticed already that probably that I have some corruption in my repository database and perhaps this corruption causes these errors.
martinh

Postby amcgilly » Tue Dec 16, 2008 10:49 pm

Thanks for your replies. Here's an update from my end:

Many of the problems I was having simply went away the next time I started Servoy. It may have gotten confused betwen the new repository I had put in the database folder, and existing files in the workspace (although I'm pretty sure I deleted those before checking out solutions from the new repository). Anyway, the only problems that remain are the unresolved imageMedia properties. I had a little trouble understanding Johan's explanation (above) and I got this explanation (see below) from Sebastian van Erk at Servoy:

[quote]Basically it's very simple: you can only access media from a module that another module (or the solution) depends on. So if A -> B means A depends on B, then A can access media from B. So if you need to share an image between two modules A and B you can make a module C that contains the image and have A -> C and B -> C. That way, you only have the image once (in module C) and when you need to update it you only need to update it in one place.

What I've seen some people do is make a "media" module, though that kind of defeats the point of modularization (things that belong together in 1 module). But in the above example it's clear that the image is more "fundamental" then the modules A and B since it is used by both, so it should be in a module beneath both of them.

What Johan also seems to try and say is that you cannot reference stuff in other modules if there is no depends on path somewhere. So if A -> B -> C then A can access stuff from C. But if A -> B and A -> C then B cannot access stuff from C and vice versa, because there is -> path between them.[/quote]

SO I ahve created a 'media' module and corrected all the dependencies among my solutions & modules and it's working. After I've created my 'media' module, I have to go through all solutions and modules that use the media resources and redirect them to the new media files.

Thanks again everyone.
amcgilly

Postby IT2Be » Tue Dec 16, 2008 11:55 pm

I found something very annoying, maybe related.

After moving a 3.5 solution to 4.1 I saw many warnings.

This issue was this:

In 3.5 it is ok to delete a method that was attached to an event. The Event ignores the missing reference and everything is ok. No warning or whatever.
After an import to 4.1 these methods are still referenced (so it seems) but not available and throw a warning and are '-unresolved-' in the property editor...
IT2Be
Servoy Expert

Postby john.allen » Wed Dec 17, 2008 9:25 pm

Marcel,

Just to be clear when I move to 4.1 (from 3.5) does this happen even if you first 'unattach' the method to an event and then delete it?

Thanks,

John
john.allen

Postby mboegem » Thu Dec 18, 2008 1:19 am

[quote="john.allen"]does this happen even if you first 'unattach' the method to an event and then delete it?[/quote]

No, in that case it doesn't.

Although all the warnings or even errors look like a real pain to some people > the problem pane is actually your best friend.
It tells you quite good where you - or fellow developers - messed up on deletion of methods, dataproviders, forms, etc.

There's still some minor issues to be solved by Servoy concerning the realtime updating. But don't let this stop you, because it's a pretty good and stable tool already.

Good luck on moving your solution(s)!
mboegem

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements