Servoy 3.5.10

Servoy announcements

Re: Servoy 3.5.10

Postby dpearce » Mon Jun 29, 2009 9:19 am

I am interested in the response to Harjo.

I am using the tunneling, and have still noted that the speed had improved, but I am wondering what I might be missing if i switched it off, or had a second server that didn't us it! (in the knowledge my users only work on their own records one at a time, so i cant foresee any problems with that.

David
dpearce

Postby Harjo » Mon Jun 29, 2009 9:48 am

I have disabled, the tunneling at the moment, because of the slow(er) performance..
I'm going to setup a identical (second) server (on a different port) with the tunneling on and the new 3.5.10.

I than can show it to Johan, to see/show the difference
Harjo

Postby sebster » Tue Jun 30, 2009 10:53 am

Hi,

I'm noticing that on a lot of Windows machines there are virus scanners that scan every single HTTP request. These can interfere with the tunnel (which are HTTP requests too) and make them slower or not work at all.

Try disabling your virus scanner and see if the problem is solved. If the virus scanner is causing troubles maybe you can make an exception for the domain you're hosting Servoy on (no point in scanning that anyway, it's just a waste of resources).
sebster

Postby rafig » Tue Jun 30, 2009 5:44 pm

[quote="jcompagner"]
what kind of errors do you get on the client and server when you enable it?[/quote]

Hi.
I am at client today and just managed to go onto a user's Mac here to turn compress on & off, which is all that I did.
I am attaching screen shots of settings to show the only thing I changed was the compress flag (trust me, it was all I changed), as well as the bits of the log files from the server for that time frame.
The key error it seems is

2009-06-30 16:05:29,982 ERROR [SocketAccepter[0]] com.servoy.j2db.util.Debug - SocketAcceptor failure for socket: Socket[addr=/193.0.1.51,port=50281,localport=1099]
java.io.EOFException
at java.io.DataInputStream.readInt(Unknown Source)
at com.servoy.j2db.util.rmi.d$b.run(Unknown Source)
at com.servoy.j2db.util.as.run(Unknown Source)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)

where addr=193.0.1.51 was the client Mac's IP address. There are 3 of these lines in the 'servoy_log.txt' file, each with a slight different ',port=5028x' address.
Is there another port that needs opening on the firewall of the server? Or does something else have to be opened on the local Mac proxy settings.

Thanks
Rafi
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
rafig

Postby jcompagner » Tue Jun 30, 2009 7:07 pm

that doesnt say to much,
you need to have the log of the client. Because the client closes the connection to the server.

Do you have that same errors on all your clients to that machine? or only on that mac
If a windows machine connects to that server what does it do then?

Is there some virusscanner or firewall inbetween? Maybe something in the middle just doesnt trust the data and closes it.
Johan Compagner
Servoy
jcompagner

Postby rafig » Tue Jun 30, 2009 9:47 pm

[quote="jcompagner"]that doesnt say to much,
you need to have the log of the client. Because the client closes the connection to the server.[/quote]

Have left client now, but will be back there on Thursday...

[quote]Do you have that same errors on all your clients to that machine? or only on that mac
If a windows machine connects to that server what does it do then?[/quote]

I think the issue is the same on all Macs that have the company proxy settings enabled on them. On my Mac and another Mac of someone that works there but doesn't have proxy enabled, it is fine.
All the PCs have the Java/Network Settings/Direct Connection enabled (as when I first set up their Servoy system, we had to do this on all PCs to allow them to work) & so work fine.

[quote]Is there some virusscanner or firewall inbetween? Maybe something in the middle just doesnt trust the data and closes it.[/quote]

Based on my comment above, I would assume it has to be something in the Proxy settings on the Mac & not the firewall on the server (I'm not sure if a virus scanner is running on server). I was sure we had configured it correctly for Servoy, as it does work when Compress is turned off, so what else would we need to add to the exception rules for that server (called 'testsrv-6')?

Thanks
Rafi
rafig

Postby ngervasi » Thu Jul 02, 2009 2:34 am

[quote="rafig"]Based on my comment above, I would assume it has to be something in the Proxy settings on the Mac & not the firewall on the server (I'm not sure if a virus scanner is running on server). I was sure we had configured it correctly for Servoy, as it does work when Compress is turned off, so what else would we need to add to the exception rules for that server (called 'testsrv-6')?[/quote]

Try to update to the latest Apple Java and then turn on "direct connection" to skip the proxy in the Java preferences.
ngervasi

Postby rafig » Fri Jul 03, 2009 4:29 pm

[quote="ngervasi"]Try to update to the latest Apple Java and then turn on "direct connection" to skip the proxy in the Java preferences.[/quote]
Hi. Thanks for the advice!
My client will give it a try, but they have wait for IT to come round and update their Mac 8-(
Other Mac user's there are running on 10.4 & I'm not sure if that option will appear if they update.

I'll let you know,
Thanks
Rafi
rafig

Postby jdcunha » Wed Aug 26, 2009 10:15 pm

Hi all,

What exactly does Socketfactory.compress flag exactly do and do they have any restrictions?

Regards
jdcunha
jdcunha

Postby jcompagner » Thu Aug 27, 2009 1:17 am

it compresses the communications between client and server with gzip compression. This can result in 90% less traffic and a few less roundtrips to the server.

Normally there shouldnt be any problem for normal clients, but if for some reason there is a problem you can switch it off. This switching of could be very likely if you use developers with the servoy team repository setup.
Johan Compagner
Servoy
jcompagner

Postby jdcunha » Thu Aug 27, 2009 3:05 am

Thanks Johan.

Regards
jdcunha
jdcunha

Postby gianni » Tue Apr 13, 2010 5:08 pm

[quote="Jan Blok"]We are pleased announce the immediate availability of Servoy 3.5.10

[fix] case 209788: DB sequence was not used after switchServer

[/quote]

I would like to have more information on this fix because we are going to use switchServer() to switch between customer dbs in a multicustomer installation.
- The original error was about Servoy sequences od DB sequences? I suppose Servoy ones but I prefer to ask...
- Sequences were never switched (always used those of the first connection aka they were not maintained for each db...) or they were switched once and never after or they didn't work at all after a switchServer?

Where can I find more info on this fix?

Tnks,
Gianni
gianni

Postby rgansevles » Tue Apr 13, 2010 9:23 pm

Gianni,

The issue we fixed was that the sequence setting on a column was not always applied to the same column in the switched-to server after calling databasemanager.switchServer().
For example, if you configured a column to use database sequences, after the switchServer() call the column in the target database would sometimes fall back to servoy sequences.

Rob
rgansevles

Previous

Return to Announcements