Servoy 3.5.10

Servoy announcements

Servoy 3.5.10

Postby Jan Blok » Wed Jun 24, 2009 4:27 pm

We are pleased announce the immediate availability of Servoy 3.5.10

Make a backup of your current Servoy installation (directory and database) before installing.

This version is available through the download page on the Servoy website (developer section) and auto update (check via help menu -> check for new version)

Changes:
[enh] advanced compression and reduction of round-trips increase the speed of Smart Client up to 300% when user over WAN/Internet
[enh] case 211376: never remove a form from memory if assigned to a global variable
[enh] new installer version for better Windows Vista support
[fix] case 218910: scrollbar goes back to 0 position, when href is clicked in HTML-AREA
[fix] case 211130: Various small type-ahead field issues in different web-browsers
[fix] case 217872: Closing client via x does not save solutions in cache (when calling application.exit() from onClose event method)
[fix] case 199989: Borders and margins in table view
[fix] case 215257: Search->newRecord->use of date range does not work
[fix] case 216501: application.getUserProperty() gives different result in developer and in application server
[fix] case 211433: MS-SQL: text columns created as varchar, while nvarchar is needed for utf-8 support
[fix] case 208986: onAction on Calculation doesn't work all the time
[fix] case 167215: problem with scrollTabs property & disabling tabs.
[fix] case 215258: Search->New record->use of comboBoxes does not work
[fix] case 214220: controller.loadrecords(dataSet) does not apply table filters when records are cached
[fix] case 209788: DB sequence was not used after switchServer
Jan Blok
Servoy
Jan Blok

Re: Servoy 3.5.10

Postby ROCLASI » Wed Jun 24, 2009 5:34 pm

Hi Jan,

This installer is 19MB smaller than the 3.5.9 installer. Is this correct ?
ROCLASI
Servoy Expert

Postby Jan Blok » Wed Jun 24, 2009 5:42 pm

Yes, the new installer (changed for better vista support) seems to zip better and reuse files (like in runtime builder pack, it bundles sybase files for various platforms only once)
Jan Blok
Servoy
Jan Blok

Postby dpearce » Wed Jun 24, 2009 9:00 pm

The speed enhancement sounds exciting.

Will the also be effective over the port 80 tunneling?

David
dpearce

Postby Jan Blok » Wed Jun 24, 2009 9:10 pm

Yes, since it adds compression, resulting in less network packets.
Jan Blok
Servoy
Jan Blok

Postby patrick » Wed Jun 24, 2009 10:41 pm

I can confirm: the speed improvement is tremendous. Just tested from home with a real heavy solution. Great. Really usable. So who needs a WebClient?
patrick

Postby ptalbot » Thu Jun 25, 2009 12:00 am

[quote="patrick"]I can confirm: the speed improvement is tremendous. Just tested from home with a real heavy solution. Great. Really usable. So who needs a WebClient?[/quote]
Hi Patrick,

that's an interesting question.
As much as I like the smooth deployment of java web start used by Servoy, and the improvement of the advanced compression for RMI communication (congrats for the backport in 3.5.10 to the Servoy enineering team BTW), there are still case where a plain browser remains the only option.

For example I have had to make a demo of a prototype solution on a brand new PC in our main meeting room (equipped with a wide TV Screen), and ran into a big problem.
Basically, java was not installed, so I thought, no problem, I go to the test page and it will direct me to the proper java download... It didn't work.
So OK, I browse to the sun website (soon Oracle?) to download the latest JRE, download the stuff, (while the client was still waitingà but then a few miniutes later I couldn't install it, because I didn't realized that I was logged as a regular user, with no admin rights.

Now I can imagine in some big corporation running into that kind of deployment problems: there are companies with strict user policies where no one except the network administrators can install a thing on the local hard disk. I know a few corporate companies like that. And I can imagine what it could be in banks for example, have you ever worked for a bank, I can tell you they are tough on security (and so they should).

So for these cases at least, the web client will still be the only option, as sad as it can be.
ptalbot

Postby patrick » Thu Jun 25, 2009 8:57 am

It was more of a joke... Your are right, there are of course, many situations where a web client is great. In our situation, the improvement in the smart client makes a big difference. In general, our solution was more or less unusable over the internet or slow VPN connections. Now, we still have a pretty long loading process, but once you are logged in, you can actually work ok.
patrick

Postby jcompagner » Thu Jun 25, 2009 10:02 am

patrick wrote:I can confirm: the speed improvement is tremendous. Just tested from home with a real heavy solution. Great. Really usable. So who needs a WebClient?

Good point! ;)

ptalbot wrote:So OK, I browse to the sun website (soon Oracle?) to download the latest JRE, download the stuff, (while the client was still waitingà but then a few miniutes later I couldn't install it, because I didn't realized that I was logged as a regular user, with no admin rights.

yes this is still a stupid design desicsion of sun.
You should be able to install a JRE into a limited user acount
Why on earth didnt they fix that yet i dont know.
Johan Compagner
Servoy
jcompagner

Postby rafig » Fri Jun 26, 2009 5:42 pm

Hi,
just updated a client to this new release and when the Mac users try and launch client, it gets stuck on 'Opening Repository' or whatever that message is...
They have Proxies set in their Network Prefs. by IT, but these were fine before the update. (A while back I had to clear/empty the 'ava.rmi.server.hostname' setting to allow users to work here with the proxies, but I also wanted to change this back to 127.0.0.1 to see if it fixed the other problem below with VPN Tracker...)
When I turn off 'SocketFactory.compress', it then opens again.
Is there another port or something that needs to be opened in proxies to allow this, as I was hoping it would help a (very important) remote user get in faster over a VPN connection (they are using the Equinux VPN Tracker software, which has had problems with Servoy up until now, but I wanted to see if this update fixed that as well, but one step at a time...)

Please advise.

Thanks,
Rafi
rafig

Postby jcompagner » Fri Jun 26, 2009 5:45 pm

so you are saying that a 3.5.10 configuration without compresing sockets work
and if you enable only that and start again it doesnt?
Johan Compagner
Servoy
jcompagner

Postby rafig » Fri Jun 26, 2009 6:18 pm

[quote="jcompagner"]so you are saying that a 3.5.10 configuration without compresing sockets work
and if you enable only that and start again it doesnt?[/quote]

Yes
rafig

Postby Harjo » Fri Jun 26, 2009 11:08 pm

We have upgraded our live server in the datacenter to 3.5.10.
and Servoy is really fast!! :-)

but.....
as soon as I turn on the tunneling over port 80 (with SSL), Servoy becomes much, much slower..... :-(
Is this a known issue?
Harjo

Postby jcompagner » Sat Jun 27, 2009 11:57 am

rafig wrote:
jcompagner wrote:so you are saying that a 3.5.10 configuration without compresing sockets work
and if you enable only that and start again it doesnt?

Yes

i have a very hard time believing this.
Because the compressing nature doesnt sit in the network layer/connections itself. (compressing it self has nothing to do with the connections that are made).
The actual connection and so on arent changed, it is something on top of te actual network layer purely in software

what kind of errors do you get on the client and server when you enable it?
Johan Compagner
Servoy
jcompagner

Postby rafig » Sat Jun 27, 2009 1:13 pm

[quote="jcompagner"][quote="rafig"][quote="jcompagner"]so you are saying that a 3.5.10 configuration without compresing sockets work
and if you enable only that and start again it doesnt?[/quote]

Yes[/quote]

i have a very hard time believing this.
Because the compressing nature doesnt sit in the network layer/connections itself. (compressing it self has nothing to do with the connections that are made).
The actual connection and so on arent changed, it is something on top of te actual network layer purely in software

what kind of errors do you get on the client and server when you enable it?[/quote]

I am now not at the client, but basically client would not launch. The message in Status area was 'Opening Data Connection.' (or similar), then 'Opening Repository' (or similar), and that is where it got stuck.
I will be back at client on Tuesday when I can do more testing etc. for you.
rafig

Next

Return to Announcements