Servoy 8.0.0

Servoy announcements

Servoy 8.0.0

Postby jcompagner » Tue Sep 01, 2015 2:24 pm

We are pleased to announce the availability of Servoy 8.0.0 (releaseNumber 3020)

This version is available through the download at the Servoy website.

For this release you can use the update site, but only if you come from RC1. A clean install is preferred.

You could upgrade an exiting installation by first doing a clean install.
then in your existing installation rename the developer dir to developer_tmp
and copy over the developer dir from the RC1 to the existing installation. If you then start this it will pickup the existing properties file and databases and you can point to the same workspace.
(after that it will ask to upgrade the server part)

Fixes and improvements in this release:

column aliasses (dataprovider names) of a table was not always imported correctly SVY-8675
NGCLient: allignment issues in tableview for the last column (hidden by the scrollbar)
NGCLient: tableview/portal was not always updated correctly with the actual results when reshown and data was changed
NGClient: Controller.readonly fixes SVY-8657 (but there are still known issues and different behavior when it comes to readonly over tabpanels)
NGClient/WebClient: fixes for sending a second time a file to the browser (for download) for the Edge Browser
NGClient: cleanup call back for services so that they can clean up stuff on solution close: Services

What will not work or won't be supported yet in the final of 8.0 are the following things:

NGClient:
drag n drop support
onrender
client design mode
servoy printing (controller.printPreview()/print())
swing beans as an image (like we did in the sample crm)

In the new designer:
drag n drop forms from the Solution Explorer tree onto the form in a designer (or anything from the solex tree)
template support.

Currently the new designer is the default editor, please test it as good as you can and give us feedback because we are still working hard to make that editor better and easier to use.
you can always switch back to the old editor, but then you will loose the WYSIWYG from custom ngclient components and the ability to make it responsive.

Servoy 8 brings a new client type called NGClient, which is based on HTML5 and webcomponent specifications.
For more details see: New in 8.0 and especially this page: NGClient+Compatibility

For people that have already created there own components must look at: Specification and then the Data synchronization section.
Because by default nothing is pushed anymore to the server, you have to specify which properties (including dataproviders) should be pushed (are allowed to be pushed) to the server and in what way.

This is all also explained a bit more in detail on the Performance page.

Also check the pages: NGClient deployment and WAR Deployment because NGClient is a WAR only deployment and needs to have specific support for application servers.

Previous release notes: this page
Johan Compagner
Servoy
jcompagner

Re: Servoy 8.0.0

Postby mboegem » Tue Sep 01, 2015 3:00 pm

Congratulations on this milestone!
Marc Boegem
Solutiative / JBS Group, Partner
• Servoy Certified Developer
• Servoy Valued Professional
• Freelance Developer

Partner of Tower - The most powerful Git client for Mac and Windows
mboegem

Postby AlanBourke » Tue Sep 01, 2015 5:56 pm

Downloading now to have a gander. Looking forward to the NGClient.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Servoy SAN Developer
AlanBourke

Postby Westy » Tue Sep 01, 2015 10:07 pm

Congratulations on achieving this milestone.

Are there any videos planned that will show how to create a few simple responsive solutions?

Dean
Westy

Postby deezzub » Tue Sep 01, 2015 10:57 pm

Code: Select all
404 page not found

I see in the formeditor, if I try to open a form. Does it not work with OpenJDK 1.8.0_60? It crashes, if I try to start the Smart Client.
deezzub

Postby jcompagner » Wed Sep 02, 2015 10:39 am

formeditor: thats very likely because you are running a different tomcat/servoy server besides it.

OpenJDK on what OS? Linux? Maybe this is a font issue or something like that (i do remember stuff from that area)
Johan Compagner
Servoy
jcompagner

Postby deezzub » Wed Sep 02, 2015 9:36 pm

jcompagner wrote:formeditor: thats very likely because you are running a different tomcat/servoy server besides it.

OpenJDK on what OS? Linux? Maybe this is a font issue or something like that (i do remember stuff from that area)

Oh, it was my local Syncthing server, which also uses port 8080. That leads me to the idea, that it would be great if you could provide the possibility to change the Tomcat server port during installation like it is possible for Postresql port. In the past, I had often the case, where I want run multiple Servoy Developer.

I use Antergos (Arch Linux).

~> uname -a
Linux zotac-iq01 4.1.6-1-ARCH #1 SMP PREEMPT Mon Aug 17 08:52:28 CEST 2015 x86_64 GNU/Linux
~> java -version
openjdk version "1.8.0_60"
OpenJDK Runtime Environment (build 1.8.0_60-b24)
OpenJDK 64-Bit Server VM (build 25.60-b23, mixed mode)
deezzub

Postby Jan Aleman » Wed Sep 02, 2015 11:59 pm

Westy wrote:Congratulations on achieving this milestone.

Are there any videos planned that will show how to create a few simple responsive solutions?

Dean

Yes. We have a webinar planned with a responsive app and are also working on more tutorials. Prio 1 was to get 8.0.0 out of the door.
Jan Aleman
Servoy
Jan Aleman

Postby Gabi Boros » Thu Sep 03, 2015 9:48 am

deezzub wrote:
404 page not found

I see in the formeditor, if I try to open a form. Does it not work with OpenJDK 1.8.0_60? It crashes, if I try to start the Smart Client.

as for the smart client crash, does it work if you are using another laf, not the default one ?
try to add this to servoy.properties :
selectedlnf=javax.swing.plaf.metal.MetalLookAndFeel
Gabi Boros
Servoy
Gabi Boros

Postby david » Thu Sep 03, 2015 4:27 pm

Is the responsive editor and related bootstrap components supposed to be working in this version?
David Workman, Kabootit

Everything you need to build great apps with Servoy
david

Postby rgansevles » Thu Sep 03, 2015 9:44 pm

deezzub wrote:
404 page not found

Sebastian,

Do you have a crash report when it crashes?
Do you have a hs_err_pid*.log file?

Rob
Rob Gansevles
Servoy
rgansevles

Postby deezzub » Thu Sep 03, 2015 10:16 pm

Gabi Boros wrote:
deezzub wrote:
404 page not found

as for the smart client crash, does it work if you are using another laf, not the default one ?
try to add this to servoy.properties :
selectedlnf=javax.swing.plaf.metal.MetalLookAndFeel

Yes, it seems to work then.
deezzub

Postby deezzub » Thu Sep 03, 2015 10:27 pm

rgansevles wrote:
deezzub wrote:
404 page not found

Sebastian,

Do you have a crash report when it crashes?
Do you have a hs_err_pid*.log file?

Rob

Yes.
hs_err_pid15895.txt
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
deezzub

Postby rgansevles » Fri Sep 04, 2015 9:03 am

This is definitely a problem related to the gtk look and feel icw your linux distribution.

Rob
Rob Gansevles
Servoy
rgansevles

Postby paronne » Fri Sep 04, 2015 10:13 am

david wrote:Is the responsive editor and related bootstrap components supposed to be working in this version?

Hi David, yes is possible to build responsive form with the latest version of Servoy. As Johan already mentioned we are still working to make it better and easier to use; your feedback would be important for us.
I recommend to use the Eclipse's Outline View in combination with the Form Editor. Since the 12Grid containers of bootstrap are nothing else then empty Divs, is not always immediate to understand the structure of the page with the WYSIWYG. The Outline View tells you exactly which is the structure of the form. You can also add nested elements (right-click) and re-arrange elements position (drag & drop) directly from the outline view which is really handy.

There is a Responsive Design pre-conference training at Servoy World, if you are interested to it don't esitate to register http://servoy.com/content.jsp?t=1546

Paolo
paronne

Next

Return to Announcements