Servoy 2020.06.1

Servoy announcements

Servoy 2020.06.1

Postby jcompagner » Wed Aug 19, 2020 2:18 pm

We are pleased to announce the availability of Servoy 2020.06.1 (release number 3583)

Look at the whats new for more info about the 2020.6.x changes
For all fixes in this release see issues list.

This version is available through the the download site

We ship only installers, so for windows an exe file and for osx a dmg, for linux we have a archive tar file.

The full installers/archives are only for new installs, never use that to update/overwrite an existing install, existing installations should always be updated through the "check for updates".
This release can be updated by using the "latest" url: http://download.servoy.com/developer/latest/ (when you come from 2019.03 or higher)
If you install a clean install besides the current one which is 2019.12 or lower, be aware that the workspace will be upgraded and it is not recommended to use an upgraded workspace with an older release again.
This release is build on Eclipse 2020.03 (4.15)

If check for updates says there are no updates, then it could be a caching problem of eclipse, please restart the developer once and try again.

We ship a java with our installation (Java 14.0.1). So there doesn't need to be a java installed on the system anymore.
Also with a next update, we can update the java version with it so no need to keep it up to date yourself anymore.

The update site can't be used to upgrade from 84 to this release, a bug in the eclipse update mechanism will result in a broken installation.
So a clean install needs to be done if you come from 84 (but you can reuse the existing workspace just fine)

This is a release in our quarterly release cycle, if you want to stay on the LTS path you need to stick to 2020.03.1 and enabled only the lts update site.
Johan Compagner
Servoy
jcompagner

Re: Servoy 2020.06.1

Postby tgs » Mon Aug 31, 2020 5:16 pm

I have downloaded the .exe and installed the Servoy Developer on a Windows 10 PC with bundled PostgreSQL and samples.
When I launch the Servoy developer (3583) it seems that the SQL server (localhost:5432) is not starting.

I would like to run the Servoy Sample Solution from the Servoy Platform, but I get the error: No valid server.

Of course I could define the databases to a running SQL server on an external machine, but I would like to run the Servoy Developer and the SQL server on that one Windows PC.
Thomas Schnaus
SAN Developer
yomotec GmbH
tgs

Postby hilgers » Mon Aug 31, 2020 6:15 pm

Hi Thomas,

please check the postgres log for messages why postgres doesn't start
<your install dir>\application_server\postgres_db\postgres_log.txt

For more datails on what happens on startup / shutdown see: Window -> Preferences -> Servoy -> Startup

The entry "Startup Launcher" might looks like this: %%user.dir%%\startpostgres.bat

If postgres doesn't start because the standard port (5432) is not available just edit the bat file and set a different port like this:

SET PGPORT=<YourFreePort>
all postgres_db\bin\pg_ctl start -D database -l postgres_db\postgres_log.txt

In developer you'll need to change the ports of the database servers (= the db connections) accordingly.
Joachim Hilgers
Hicosoft GmbH
Cologne, Germany
hilgers

Postby tgs » Tue Sep 01, 2020 12:12 pm

Hi Joachim,

thank you for your reply.

The only log entries I get is in the servoy_log.txt. The errors there belongs to : Connection to localhost:5432 refused.
This is of course the PSQL server is not running.

I have checked the ports and 5432 should be available.

What does this line mean in the servoy_server.bat:
rem To start postgres add this to the next line:postgres_db\bin\pg_ctl start -D database -l postgres_db\postgres_log.txt
? Is this because of the PSQL server is not starting?

BTW, I have Win 10 running in a Virtual Machine on a Mac. Is this perhaps occuring the problem?
Thomas Schnaus
SAN Developer
yomotec GmbH
tgs

Postby hilgers » Tue Sep 01, 2020 2:27 pm

it looks like your postgres doesn't start automatically...
The command after the colon will start prostgres - so copy it to a new line or remove the stuff before (including) the colon

Regarding win10 on a mac: No clue - I'm Win-only.
But all the Mac-people seem to be very happy to use the mac version of Servoy. Why did you choose this way?

Viele Grüße
Joachim Hilgers
Hicosoft GmbH
Cologne, Germany
hilgers

Postby tgs » Tue Sep 01, 2020 2:53 pm

I have tried with the command pasted in a seperate line. But the PSQL server will not start.
Why do I have to edit a bat file to get this f*** running?? I have searched and read the documentation for special behaviour for the Win installer, but always old stuff there.

I'm also happy with the Mac version of Servoy. It is running well out of the box.
The idea was to run the current sample solution on Windows in a seperate Monitor because I got issues running to instances of Servoy in the OS.

EDIT:

I tried with the Command Prompt, but get a dll error.
start_psql_cmd.png

For me it's time to bury this.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Thomas Schnaus
SAN Developer
yomotec GmbH
tgs

Postby jcompagner » Tue Sep 01, 2020 4:57 pm

This only happens when you have a quite clean windows install. Has nothing to do with batch files, you miss a support lib that is not installed yet.

We fixed this for 09 https://support.servoy.com/plugins/serv ... /SVY-13478

But that does mean that we need admin rights when installing servoy now.
Johan Compagner
Servoy
jcompagner

Postby Andrei Costescu » Tue Sep 01, 2020 5:21 pm

Yes, so you do not need to modify that batch file - it does not affect developer. That batch file is only used to start the Servoy Server - when yes, by default it does not automatically start a DB server (it is assumed that when starting a server only you have the DB already set up elsewhere). And that line is commented out so that it can just be un-commented by ppl. who want the embedded DB to be started in case of Servoy Server as well.

Anyway now the idea is to move more and more towards .war deployment for production (so export the solution as .war and put it in a .war container, which supports ng client as well as smart/web clients) instead of starting with Servoy Server for production (which would work for smart and web client but not for ngclient).

But to go back to your problem - see the comments in the case Johan posted (that is fixed for 2020.09). For 2020.06.1 and fresh windows systems you need to install Visual C++ redistributable; that is required by PostgreSQL but not installed automatically in this version.
Andrei Costescu
Servoy
Andrei Costescu

Return to Announcements