Servoy 2022.09

Servoy announcements

Servoy 2022.09

Postby jcompagner » Tue Oct 04, 2022 8:41 pm

We are pleased to announce the availability of Servoy 2022.09 (release number 3803)

This version is available through the the download site

An installation (coming from the normal installer or from a platform specific archive) is shipping with with a Java VM (Java 17.0.4)

So for the platform specific archives you don't need to install or have java on your system.

This release can be updated by using the "latest" url: http://download.servoy.com/developer/latest/ (when you come from 2019.03 or higher)
This release is build on Eclipse 2022.06 (4.24)

See whats new for the global changes

See the issues list for a complete overview of all the cases.

Make sure you use all the latest webpackages that also have the 2022.09.x version
Older versions won't work in combination with Servoy 2022.09

This is a release in our quarterly release cycle
if you want to stay on the LTS path you need to stick to 2021.03.1 LTS and enabled only the lts update site.
Johan Compagner
Servoy
jcompagner

Re: Servoy 2022.09

Postby rafig » Thu Oct 06, 2022 3:23 pm

Congratulations to the Servoy team on another new release! ;-)
Servoy Certified Developer
rafig

Postby steve1376656734 » Mon Oct 10, 2022 3:15 pm

Hi,

Updating packages to the latest versions using the package manager seems to be corrupting some of the code. If the comment includes an @type {.........} it is being stripped out and two lines are bwing joined together. The screenshot shows a Git diff after a package manager update:
2022-10-10_14-13-21.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Steve
SAN Developer
There are 10 types of people in the world - those that understand binary and those that don't
steve1376656734

Postby steve1376656734 » Tue Oct 11, 2022 11:13 am

UPDATE:
The problem with the corrupting JSDoc described above only occurs if you update modules (not component or service packages) using the package manager or import a solution or module in developer.
Steve
SAN Developer
There are 10 types of people in the world - those that understand binary and those that don't
steve1376656734

Some thoughts on Servoy upgrades

Postby omar » Fri Oct 14, 2022 1:36 pm

Hi,

I currently maintain a smart-client app and several NG-client apps. With the latest Servoy upgrades I am experiencing more and more difficulties in upgrading to the newest quarterly release (not with the upgrade itself but with deployment issues afterwards). For the smart-client I gave up after two days of trying, including 1 day of support from a Servoy expert. Using plugins with different versions of shared libraries is causing headaches as well. I'd rather lose a bit of diskspace to redundant libraries than precious time trying to avoid this new DLL/JAR hell. Breaking changes are sometimes unavoidable, I get that. But it would be very nice if they were explicitly mentioned in an accessible way (I know, I know, read the release notes). The annoying Servoy popup with beginner tutorials could be repurposed for this very nicely! And how about some Titanium info as well? Servoy, is doing an awesome job at upgrading our coding stack but I am more scared than ever to upgrade where it used to be a formality. This is not criticism because I understand how difficult it must be to anticipate every possible issue ahead of time. Of course using the TLS stable version could be an option but I generally like getting new Technological innovations a.s.a.p. Any ideas on how we can help Servoy make this a smoother/better experience?
Intrasoft, Founder
Omar van Galen
omar@intrasoft.nl
+31-(0)6-21234586
Servoy Developer
omar

Postby jcompagner » Fri Oct 14, 2022 2:26 pm

Smartclient is a bit special, because that needs jars also on the client (so downloadable). With 2022.09 when you export a WAR and you have rmi enabled (disabled by default) then we should be in the 2022.06 mode. it should work the same
Of course we are constantly updating libraries and versions (i think 2022.12 will be even bigger, because for that release we will be moving fully to Java 17)

But in the new way of deploying all the plugins and all the supported libs of plugins are being placed in the area where they are supposed to be (WEB-INF/lib) that means it is 1 big classpath with everything loaded through one classloader.
This does mean (but that was kind of always the case) that you can't have different versions of the same jar.. That should never have happened and should always be avoided.
Since 2022.06 we already have checks for that, when you generate a WAR we copy all the jars and we double check for duplicate version, and we will warn and throw out the older once. (maybe that is what you hit against?)

Even the past week i created cases at Eclipse and Apache projects to get libraries to have correct dependency setup, and I told eclipse that they have to use a newer version of stuff. happily that was right away picked up and for the next, next release (so not 2022.12 because that will be built on the now fixed 2022.09 of eclipse) this will be fixed and I can move to the latest libs of everything.

If you use 3rd party jars, then the maintainers of those need to check every time there dependencies and they should not ship versions of jars that Servoy already ships.. That is bad.
Of course then you could still have 2 3rd party plugins with their own set of jars and they have duplicates between them, but hopefully they can be maintained that both are always on the latest major versions.

About NPM packages for TiNG we will make sure that all our packages are up to date when we do a release and we will do a release of all the NPM package that needs this. It is just now a way that software moves way faster to keep up with everything. If we would not do that then in 1 or 2 years we would be falling so much behind that it will be very hard to catch up.. Not to mention then the possible security issues that could arise in the meantime...

But if you have your own or a 3rd party component/service then at least you need to be in sync with the angular version that we also ship for that specific Servoy release.

For Servoy we will be introducing in min and max version for a package.. So it will not be anymore only that Servoy Version X is needed for component package Y, but we also say Servoy version X will also need a minimum version of the component package..

If for example 2022.09 already had that, then when upgrading from a 2022.06, at the first restart we would popup right away a dialog, with the information that you have to upgrade these packages before you can continue because Servoy 2022.09 needs Bootstrapcomponents 2022.09 as a minimum.

So i am all ears how this could be smoother, but i think it really is that everybody needs to maintain their dependencies.
Johan Compagner
Servoy
jcompagner

Postby omar » Fri Oct 14, 2022 3:00 pm

Hi Johan,

Thanks for your quick and elaborate response. I appreciate it. With the smart client I could not get it to 2022.06, even after signing every library in the plugins folder it refused to load due to signing errors or signing with different certificate errors. Most likely we looked over something important. Anyhow, there is no pressing need at current to upgrade so I will just leave it at 2021.12 for now and upgrade it to NG/Titanium next year if the customer is OK with that.

A problem I currently have with the latest of 2022.09 NG-Client (including JasperSoft and all packages) is that I have to delete and recreate the servoy_repository before each update (databases are synchronized).

And last but not least is this bug in JasperSoft (https://forum.servoy.com/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=23628).
Intrasoft, Founder
Omar van Galen
omar@intrasoft.nl
+31-(0)6-21234586
Servoy Developer
omar

Postby jcompagner » Fri Oct 14, 2022 3:22 pm

ok, the problem very likley with your signing
is that some stuff (and that will be more and more...) are now not in application_server\lib
but stuff come from developer\plugins at the moment we create the WAR

If you want to sign everything (with the sign tool) with your certificate, the thing you now need todo is create the WAR, extract the WAR (its just a zip), sign all jars (\plugins , \WEB-INF\lib and so on) with your own certifacte
And then zip it back into a WAR..
Johan Compagner
Servoy
jcompagner

Postby omar » Fri Oct 14, 2022 3:33 pm

Aha! That is good to know, thanks!
Intrasoft, Founder
Omar van Galen
omar@intrasoft.nl
+31-(0)6-21234586
Servoy Developer