how to display data that have no unique key?

Questions and answers for designing and implementing forms in Servoy

how to display data that have no unique key?

Postby hilgers » Sun Feb 26, 2012 4:49 pm

I'm trying to display data from a database view (in this case MS-SQL 2008) which provides a list of records which has NO unique key to identify each row.
This view was provided to simplify reporting and dispaying of the undelying data structure.

First of all: I don't want to discuss the data structure :D AND I can't change anything in the database... :(
Using the view on a form and filtering the data, the form shows the correct number of records and all match the search criteria.

This is what servoy seems to do (taken from the Performance data log):
Code: Select all
Find
select top 201 logon1 from MyView where logon1 = ? order by logon1 asc

Load foundset
select top 4 logon1, id, typ, scope, typ2, delegator_id, logon2, [Start], [Stop] from MyView where logon1 in (?, ?, ?)

But this are not the same records that you get if you issue an identical SQL SELECT in the/a SQL-editor...
In my tests I got 3 records which contained one duplicated record. The result seems to be depending on "how wrong" I'm defining the row ident columns (so that Servoy feels happy to show any data from that view).

therefore:
a) it makes me a bit "nervous" (I'm pretty new in Servoy) that Servoy seems to present just wrong data if your PK definitions are not ok
b) do I really need to issue a "manual" SQL and create the according form on the fly via solution model?

thx in advance
Jo
hilgers

Re: how to display data that have no unique key?

Postby ngervasi » Mon Feb 27, 2012 12:19 pm

You just have to figure out the correct row identificators, as a last resort try to set each and every column as row_ident.
Nicola Gervasi
sintpro.com
SAN Partner
ngervasi

Postby AlanBourke » Mon Feb 27, 2012 12:24 pm

> Servoy seems to present just wrong data if your PK definitions are not ok

Well, yes. But that's not a Servoy issue - Servoy uses Hibernate for its ORM layer, and Hibernate needs correct PK information, and it couldn't really work any other way.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Servoy SAN Developer
AlanBourke

Postby hilgers » Tue Feb 28, 2012 3:45 pm

Using all/more colums is not an option because the performance (at least in this case) would be terribly slow.

Coming back to part b) of my question ;-)

do I really need to use rawsql + SOM to configure the form on the fly?

just wondering...
thx a lot
Joachim Hilgers
Hicosoft GmbH
Cologne, Germany
hilgers

Postby Jan Aleman » Tue Feb 28, 2012 11:30 pm

Why not stick it in an html field?

Create a label put it on your form make it big enough.
Use the getAs html function on the dataset to get the data (check the example code for an example)
put it on the label. Done!

hilgers wrote:Using all/more colums is not an option because the performance (at least in this case) would be terribly slow.

Coming back to part b) of my question ;-)

do I really need to use rawsql + SOM to configure the form on the fly?

just wondering...
thx a lot
Jan Aleman
Servoy
Jan Aleman

Postby rgansevles » Tue Mar 06, 2012 12:26 pm

Alternatively, you can select the data (databaseManager.getDatasetByQquery) and convert it to a data source (dataset.createDataDource).

There is also databaseManager.createDataSourceByQuery() to do both above in 1 step.

Data sets do not need unique rows.

Rob
Rob Gansevles
Servoy
rgansevles

Postby hilgers » Wed Mar 07, 2012 7:17 pm

Rob,
"databaseManager.createDataSourceByQuery()" seems to be what I was looking for!

I'm having a strong and long-time background in FoxPro and things which are absolutely simple to be done in FoxPro (e.g. "display a list and don't care what's in it) are sometimes hard to find in Servoy - and even harder to explain to servoy people ;-)

THX all!
Joachim Hilgers
Hicosoft GmbH
Cologne, Germany
hilgers

Postby AlanBourke » Thu Mar 08, 2012 11:02 am

You can get away with it in the FoxPro world because of the way DBF files work, they have the concept of the record number even if you don't have an actual field that uniquely identifies rows. Having said that, IMO it's a good idea to define an auto-incrementing integer id field for every FoxPro table anyway. I realise that in this case you cannot change the FoxPro data, however.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Servoy SAN Developer
AlanBourke

Postby hilgers » Thu Mar 08, 2012 8:31 pm

Alan,

I know the conceptional differences between Fox/DBF and SQL-(server) databases especially regarding needed PKs... ;-)

For me it just was hard to find out that servoy handles datasources used in the designers (which are updateable) differently than the ones defined as queries.

nevertheless THX!
Joachim Hilgers
Hicosoft GmbH
Cologne, Germany
hilgers

Return to Forms