Does text field/area have built in functionality to expand

Questions and answers for designing and implementing forms in Servoy

Does text field/area have built in functionality to expand

Postby eKelman » Wed Apr 25, 2012 1:23 am

Does Servoy provide any built in functionality to expand a text field temporarily so that a user can see the value in its entirety?

Scenario:
With limited space on the form, there is a text area that is used to display field that could have 2000 characters.

The text area is say 4 rows high and about 500 pixels wide.

What the users want is to be able to say double click the field and have it open a temporary text area on top of the form that can display the full contents of the field.

Is there anything build in to Servoy that can achieve this? I believe this is something that is going to require some custom code attached to some global method, but I was asked to put it out there just to see if there was anything built in for this.

Thanks
Ernest
Kelman Technologies
eKelman

Re: Does text field/area have built in functionality to expa

Postby ngervasi » Wed Apr 25, 2012 1:40 am

A very quick solution would be to display the entire field content in the text-area tooltip, not very nice but quite effective and fast.
A nicer approach would be to create another form with only the text-area field (set with full anchors) and show that form in a popup window when the user clicks a button, if you don't need the field to be editable, a form with a form variable is more reusable, you just need to set the var content and display the popup window.
Nicola Gervasi
sintpro.com
SAN Partner
ngervasi

Postby Thomas Parry » Wed Apr 25, 2012 4:21 am

What about having another text area that is large (with or without scroll bars) that is always hidden until user initiates a trigger. Then change the visibility and have a trigger to hide again. I prefer right click actions, but I am sure there are lots of other ways to achieve same end.
The tooltip idea is very nice too.
Tom Parry
Prospect IT
Java/C++/Servoy/Jasper Reports/Simulation/Service Applications
http://www.prospect-saas.biz
Thomas Parry

Postby eKelman » Wed Apr 25, 2012 5:21 pm

Thanks Ngervasi / Thomas

I thought about the tooltip idea but i don't think it will work for fields that are 2000 characters in length, as you said, it probably won't be a presentable type of solution.

I was thinking about the solution model to pass in certain values and open up a new form with the one field, and connecting it to the double click events, the only issue i think is having to go back through our numerous forms and attaching the global method to each field.

My manager just wanted to see if there was anything already existing in servoy for us to use out of the box.

I guess I have my answer.

Thanks
Ernest
Kelman Technologies
eKelman

Return to Forms