Simply Group-by report

Questions and answers for designing and implementing forms in Servoy

Simply Group-by report

Postby caroline.j » Wed May 02, 2012 9:21 am

Hi All,
Sorry to ask such a simple question but I was hoping someone might be able to help me.

I am creating a very simple report which just totals a value for records in the same Class and Sub Class.
So I have a Leading Subsummary showing the Class and the Sub Class. I can get this to work when I sort by the class id and Sub Class and group by the same fields
Code: Select all
nclassid asc, csubfull asc

however when I change the class id to point to the related table description (to get my list in alphabetical order) the whole thing just grinds to a holt.
Code: Select all
books_to_classification.cdesc asc, csubfull asc

Is it not possible to use a relationship in a subSummary Group by?

Revised: Ok it does actually work if you go away a leave it to process but with under 3000 records in the table and 130 classifications surely this should run relatively quickly?

Any help would be appreciated.
Caroline
caroline.j

Re: Simply Group-by report

Postby Joas » Wed May 02, 2012 2:52 pm

You should still group by the nclassid, but sort on the related field.
Joas de Haan
Yield Software Development
Need help on your project? yieldsd.com
Joas
Site Admin

Re: Simply Group-by report

Postby caroline.j » Tue May 08, 2012 1:02 pm

Joas,
Thanks but that doesn't work.

In my very simple report on the table books running in a separate foundset I have the form initialSort set to nclassid asc, csubfull asc and the Subsummary is grouped by nclassid and that works fine. Having tried many options it appears to be when I change the sort order to be by the class description!

Revised: Ok I have simplified this right down. If I sort by nclassid and group by nclassid it works but if I change the sort to cdesc (from the related file) it takes ages and produces no results!

Your help would be appreciated.
Caroline
caroline.j

Return to Forms