Change form border thickness at runtime?

Questions and answers for designing and implementing forms in Servoy

Change form border thickness at runtime?

Postby djlapin » Thu Jul 26, 2012 9:17 pm

Is this possible?

For a form displayed in a vertical split tab panel, to simulate "focus" on the form.

Thanks,
Don
djlapin

Re: Change form border thickness at runtime?

Postby jdbruijn » Fri Jul 27, 2012 4:38 pm

not sure about forms, but you could change the border type of the splitpane:
http://wiki.servoy.com/display/public/D ... ane-border
Jos de Bruijn
Focus Feedback BV
Servoy Certified Developer
jdbruijn

Postby omar » Fri Jul 27, 2012 11:50 pm

But then you still don't know which form has the focus, right? Maybe you should give other visual clues like coloring the background of the active textfield or control. In essence I think it shouldn't matter for the user. Just like going back an forth between the navigation pane in Outlook and the Mail list.

I think a programmer sees two forms and a user only sees one?

Kind regards,
Intrasoft, Founder
Omar van Galen
omar@intrasoft.nl
+31-(0)6-21234586
Servoy Developer
omar

Postby djlapin » Mon Jul 30, 2012 9:19 pm

Hi Omar,

What I'm doing is trying to provide a visual clue.

There are two views attached. One is from the old (current) program (with names obscured). The darker rectangle around the upper list indicates that it has the focus. There are also upper/lower radio buttons, but they are small in comparison.

The second illustration is from the new (Servoy) program. Thanks to the other suggestion I was able to place a thick blue bar at the top of the list. When the user clicks on a line in the lower list, the thick blue bar disappears from the upper list, and goes to the *bottom* of the lower list. But it's not as clear as with the rectangle in the old program, as to what is going on.

It would also be very helpful to be able to click anywhere in the upper or lower list and get the focus to change -- whether or not the user clicks on a row or on the empty space. The user is able to do that in the old program with an onFocus-type event.

Thank you,
Don
Attachments
FocusExample.png
In the new (Servoy) program, the thick blue bar at the top of the upper list indicates that the focus is on the upper list (along with the up/down arrows at the top center). If the user clicks on a row in either table, the focus (and the bar with it) changes. However, the lower bar must be at the very bottom, which isn't very clear, and in any case isn't the same as an entire frame surround. There is also a problem where the focus changes only when the user clicks on a row; there doesn't appear to be a way for the focus to change when the user clicks on the "whitespace" below the last record.
FocusExample.png (233.36 KiB) Viewed 3183 times
FocusExampleOld2.png
In the current program, the focus changes when the user clicks into the list (whether on a record or on the "white space" below the last record. To indicate focus, the upper list has a darker frame around it.
FocusExampleOld2.png (94.96 KiB) Viewed 3183 times
djlapin

Postby omar » Mon Jul 30, 2012 11:51 pm

Hi Don,

Ok, I understand what you mean. I have tried to manipulate the borders before as well in a situation like this but to no avail. Perhaps a workaround could be to add a rectangular shape to the forms that you make visible when the form gets the focus and hide the other one. It will take a little extra work but you have more options on how and what you show to the user. It's not a very elegant solution but it should work... :wink:

Kind regards,
Intrasoft, Founder
Omar van Galen
omar@intrasoft.nl
+31-(0)6-21234586
Servoy Developer
omar

Return to Forms