Grid view of images

Questions and answers for designing and implementing forms in Servoy

Re: Grid view of images

Postby ROCLASI » Tue Sep 09, 2014 1:38 pm

Ah...I guess I know why it doesn't reduce. It's in HTML so the HTML renderer controls it and not the label.
Nonetheless the performance issue in 7.4 is still showstopper.
Robert Ivens
SAN Developer / Servoy Valued Professional / Servoy Certified Developer

ROCLASI Software Solutions / JBS Group, Partner
Mastodon: @roclasi
--
ServoyForge - Building Open Source Software.
PostgreSQL - The world's most advanced open source database.
ROCLASI
Servoy Expert

Postby david » Tue Sep 09, 2014 9:27 pm

bevil wrote:Hmm... Use solutionmodel / DON'T use solutionmodel.. I am confused.

Solution model is great (especially years ago) but it's not the future.

bevil wrote:My worry at the moment is still how to approach rows in the database and graphically tell them to appear in columns. I guess it is a programatic factor of how big the columns are, and how many rows we have ?...

As Robert mentioned, the html engine (ie, browser) takes care of the "flow" of your images. Shrink this page down to phone size and back to desktop size: http://192.241.236.31/themes/preview/sm ... llery.html. Basically, all you do is set how many columns you want for each particular viewport size and let frameworks (which you don't have to write) do the rest. Note that not only are columns handled for you but image size as well.

Responsive web UI's is a huge leverage point for business apps right now. Develop only one UI that works on all devices (with great performance, unlike Servoy's webclient) and a ton of components to choose from. Learning solution model isn't going to get you there...learning web technologies will.

An example: scrolling through a million records using a http://datatables.net/ grid component (same UI code for both desktop and phone):

BgTUS9_CcAAeuBO.png
BgTUS9_CcAAeuBO.png (491.88 KiB) Viewed 3175 times

BgTUEVLCEAASA2X.png
BgTUEVLCEAASA2X.png (371.68 KiB) Viewed 3175 times

Now of course there are a number of challenges to making it somewhat easier to code UI's with this approach. The WYSIWYG editor part is very hard to do, the async nature of a browser app is not part of Servoy's DNA, and Servoy's justly famous automatic data broadcasting is only recently becoming mainstream in the html development world.

So while we think Servoy whiffed hard (wasted two or three years) with their mobile client (viewtopic.php?f=16&t=19471&start=15#p105151), we are definitely curious about what Servoy 8 has in store. There may still be time to catch up.
David Workman, Kabootit

Everything you need to build great apps with Servoy
david

Postby ptalbot » Tue Sep 09, 2014 11:07 pm

In the meantime (and even after), you can whip that kind of responsive UI with Velocity and some basic HTML5 Framework like Bootstrap...
Patrick Talbot
Freelance - Open Source - Servoy Valued Professional
https://www.servoyforge.net
Velocity rules! If you don't use it, you don't know what you're missing!
ptalbot

Previous

Return to Forms