Blank record for new rows in a portal or related form?

Questions and answers for designing and implementing forms in Servoy

Blank record for new rows in a portal or related form?

Postby ccain » Fri Jan 09, 2015 8:53 pm

FileMaker developer returning to Servoy after about a decade. Might as well be a complete newbie, so sorry if I'm rehashing old ground, and thanks in advance for any help I can get getting back up to speed.

Is there a straightforward way to include a blank line for new records in a portal or a form showing related records? I realize we can have a "new" button, but the blank line waiting for new record info is a comfortable convention. Is this just not something normally done in Servoy?

I'm open to other methods outside my comfort zone, but I'd like to be sure I'm not missing available options.

Chris Cain
Extensitech
ccain

Re: Blank record for new rows in a portal or related form?

Postby jcompagner » Wed Jan 14, 2015 6:51 pm

that should be automatic
if you make a parent form on "customers" with a few fields and yoo place also on that form a portal that is goes over the relation "customer_to_orders"
then if you show that and go into find mode, the portal should show you an empty row
Johan Compagner
Servoy
jcompagner

Postby Harjo » Wed Jan 14, 2015 7:57 pm

Johan, in findmode you are right. But not with new records.... Filemaker has the option to show always an empty line for new records. Servoy not
Harjo Kompagnie
ServoyCamp
Servoy Certified Developer
Servoy Valued Professional
SAN Developer
Harjo

Postby jcompagner » Thu Jan 15, 2015 2:32 pm

yes thats true, but that would be for servoy quite a bit of work to support
because then we should have in all?? related foundset that are empty by default a new records (which is not really a new record, it should not be saved when some (auto) save happens)
that is then visible in the ui and when you start to type in it it should be promoted..
problem is that for these things all kinds of triggers do happen, for example you can have a calculation on that record that does generate a value (but that should still not really make it a db record)
Johan Compagner
Servoy
jcompagner

Postby Andrei Costescu » Thu Jan 15, 2015 2:44 pm

Maybe if it would only create a new record automatically when it gets focus/user interest... But what to show in it?
I think record-view is a able to show such a blank record when no records are available.

So maybe a portal/tableview could be made to show such a row based on some config option - without it actually being in a foundset.
Andrei Costescu
Servoy
Andrei Costescu

Return to Forms