High DPI Monitors

Questions and answers for designing and implementing forms in Servoy

High DPI Monitors

Postby rodney » Tue Jan 19, 2016 2:55 am

Hi

We have a mature smart client application and now running into an issue with users running very high resolution 4K laptops with windows 10.

DPI scaling doesn't seems to work, the forms look terrible (very small with unreadable text). Text scaling doesn't help, forms look very 'unbalanced'. Our only solution is to turn the resolution back to 1080p, text scaling to 100%, but there might be a java or windows setting to manage this better.

Does anyone know a fix for this as the situation will become worse with more 4k laptops coming onto the market? I was hoping the latest JRE versions would handle this for us automatically.

Servoy 7.4.4
rodney

Re: High DPI Monitors

Postby Andrei Costescu » Tue Jan 19, 2016 9:57 am

I am wondering - if you do what this post suggests (so tell windows that the app/developer does not support high DPI and start developer) - will the smart client that developer starts look better?
Andrei Costescu
Servoy
Andrei Costescu

Postby mboegem » Tue Jan 19, 2016 11:36 am

Andrei, I believe this is not about developer, but the smart-client itself.
Marc Boegem
Solutiative / JBS Group, Partner
• Servoy Certified Developer
• Servoy Valued Professional
• Freelance Developer

Partner of Tower - The most powerful Git client for Mac and Windows
mboegem

Postby Andrei Costescu » Tue Jan 19, 2016 12:06 pm

Yes, I know, but I was curious if a smart-client started from a fixed developer would show better.
Then maybe something similar could be introduced in the start-up steps of the smart-client.
Andrei Costescu
Servoy
Andrei Costescu

Postby jbrancoIF » Wed Mar 02, 2016 12:02 pm

Hello,

Any news on this issue?

We have a client testing our application on a Suface Pro 4 and he's having this scaling problem with unreadable test that makes it unusable.

I can't ask him to install Servoy to test but what would be the steps to reproduce the fix in a Servoy smart client since we don't have a manifest?
João
InfoForm SA

Servoy 2021.03
jbrancoIF

Postby jbrancoIF » Thu Mar 10, 2016 9:52 am

bump..
João
InfoForm SA

Servoy 2021.03
jbrancoIF

Postby Andrei Costescu » Thu Mar 10, 2016 10:54 am

I don't have a high DPI screen so I can't test. I was wondering as I said in last post if a developer started like that (that manifest + registry change) would also make the (debug) smart client show better.
For web-start (real smart client) I can't say really... Maybe try to modify the javaws.exe (from the active JRE install) that starts the whole thing? Although I'm not sure if that is in the end the same process that will show the UI...

You could add a comment for this to be checked in case SVY-9345 or maybe it's better to create a related but separate case for this.
Andrei Costescu
Servoy
Andrei Costescu

Postby kwpsd » Thu Mar 10, 2016 8:11 pm

Could you confirm the smart client started from an Eclipse with this fix, also shows correctly?

Hi, Joao.

We applied the manifest fix to Servoy developer (Eclipse). When running the smart client from developer, the screen shows like it should...everything is readable. We have not tested this on a production server, because our customers have yet to move to 4K UHD displays. We suspect a permanent fix will have to come from the Java folks. I posted the working manifest in the Servoy support system: https://support.servoy.com/browse/SVY-9345

I hope this helps!
Kim W. Premuda
San Diego, CA USA
kwpsd

Postby jbrancoIF » Tue Mar 15, 2016 9:53 am

Hello Kim, thank you for your help.

I added a comment and voted for the issue you mention in the support system. Hope Andrei see your comment so he can find a possible solution for the smart client.

Could you just tell me if this fix has any effect to a smart client launched directly from a server? (outside the developer)
João
InfoForm SA

Servoy 2021.03
jbrancoIF

Postby kwpsd » Wed Mar 16, 2016 7:35 am

Joao,

Actually, Andrei provided the link to the manifest idea, so he is aware of the situation. I only used the manifest (and registry changes) on a new 4k UHD laptop computer on which I run Servoy Developer. I have not experimented with running smart client directly from a server outside of Developer...sorry! Perhaps, you could try this and report the results for others to see?
Kim W. Premuda
San Diego, CA USA
kwpsd

Postby jbrancoIF » Wed Mar 16, 2016 11:12 am

I know he is aware but he had the doubt I asked you before:

Andrei Costescu wrote:I am wondering - if you do what this post suggests (so tell windows that the app/developer does not support high DPI and start developer) - will the smart client that developer starts look better?

Anyhow, thanks for your help. I'm not trying myself because I don't have a 4K machine, I'd be happy to test everything and report the results if I had one.
João
InfoForm SA

Servoy 2021.03
jbrancoIF

Postby thijsjan.hoving » Mon Oct 10, 2016 1:52 pm

Is there anyone who has already found a solution for running javaws smart clients on high resolution screens on Windows machines. I found suggestions with a manifest for javaws and changes in the registry, but not a 'step by step' manual. Has anyone solved this issue ? Can anyone provide a step by step manual if there is a solution ?
thijsjan.hoving

High DPI Monitors and Eclipse

Postby Bernd.N » Tue Oct 11, 2016 11:22 am

I expect this theme will be a major issue in near future as 4K monitors and labtops are meanwhile affordable and will be found under many christmas trees in 10 weeks, and then with a little hesitation also in offices.

When searching "java swing 4k" there are many suggestions in the net.
Here is a link that sounds useful for me regarding Eclipse, though I did not test those suggestions as I do not run 4K so far:
https://jaxenter.com/netbeans/hidpi-with-eclipse-and-netbeans
Bernd Korthaus
LinkedIn
Servoy 7.4.9 SC postgreSQL 9.4.11 Windows 10 Pro
Bernd.N

Postby kwpsd » Thu Oct 13, 2016 1:15 am

The high DPI issue has been fixed in Eclipse version 4.5 (see below):

eclipse_bug_421383_2.png
eclipse_bug_421383_2.png (48.77 KiB) Viewed 13476 times

Would someone at Servoy please comment as to when this version will be available in Developer.

Thank you.
Kim W. Premuda
San Diego, CA USA
kwpsd

Postby Mark Voorboom » Mon Dec 19, 2016 4:42 pm

Hi,

Does someone already has experience fixing this issue when running a smart-client on a 4k laptop? I see in the posts that it can be fixed for the servoy-developer but how to fix in a smart-client configuration?

We now tell the customers to scale back the resolution but that is not the best solution.

Thnx in advance.
Stb Software Development
SAN Partner
Mark Voorboom

Next

Return to Forms