Value list problem

Questions and answers for designing and implementing forms in Servoy

Value list problem

Postby patrick » Tue Aug 12, 2003 5:45 pm

Hello, I have a problem regarding value lists that I didn't have before (in older versions). I have a table adresses with a column called uid_type (integer). Then I have a table called adresstypes with uid_type, type (text). Now I want a value list on the field uid_type in an adress form that shows me all the types and returns the uid_type.

what happens is this: the value list shows all values correctly. when choosing a value, the field uid_type in the form (and the database) remains empty. when I look at the value list again, it has "forgotten" which table to draw the values from (although shown in the list). when pointing again to the proper table and saving, everything seems ok except whatever I choose the field remains empty. I have created a new empty solution with just what I described: same result.

Am I missing something or is there a value list related bug in 1.1?

Thanks.
patrick

Postby maarten » Wed Aug 13, 2003 9:14 am

Hi Patrick,

I've done a similar set up but can't reproduce your problem.
Did you make sure your the field where the valuelist is attached to, is set to non editable?
Maarten Berkenbosch
maarten

Postby patrick » Wed Aug 13, 2003 12:32 pm

No I haven't. So I missed something... Now it works. Thank you.

P.S.: was it always like this (setting the field non editable)?
patrick

Postby maarten » Wed Aug 13, 2003 12:52 pm

Yes, by default one always have to set valuelist field to non editable.

Logical step would be, letting the system automatically set this property when setting a field to combobox type, but unfortunately this is technically not possible (yet). So for the time being you'll have to be aware of this "pitfall".
Maarten Berkenbosch
maarten

Postby jcompagner » Mon Aug 18, 2003 8:20 pm

When you add a valuelist that has different display dataproviders then return dataproviders to a combo. Then that combo wil always be noneditable no matter what the editable property is.

We still have to check if this is OK. And can be done in all cases when return != display.

it will be in the next build (after 1.1)
jcompagner

Return to Forms