text box limits

Questions and answers for designing and implementing forms in Servoy

text box limits

Postby saltheart » Thu Apr 24, 2003 12:47 am

jaleman wrote:The next release of Servoy (scheduled 2 weeks from now) will support growing and shrinking fields. Basicly a field will grow if its contents is larger than its bounding box at printing/previewing time. If the contents is less than its bounding box you can also set it to decrease. You can also let other elements shift up and down that depend on the growing and shrinking fields. Basicly it contains all the "slide" functionality you could ever dream of.

And it might even break properly accross pages!

On a related note...

Postgres has the variable length text data type. Does Servoy support this data type? I also notice that you can specify 'text area' and 'scrollable' on the form, but can you specify the text to be wrappable and have a vertical slider instead of horizontal?
Last edited by saltheart on Thu Apr 24, 2003 1:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Charles Lewis
Director of Information Services
Southwestern Adventist University
Keene, TX 76059
saltheart

Postby bcusick » Thu Apr 24, 2003 1:29 am

I think we're hard at work - trying to make that happen.

I'm not sure if the "text" datatype gets mapped to the variable "text" datatype in Postgres - that's a question for someone deeper in the "guts" than I.

Bob
bcusick

Postby saltheart » Thu Apr 24, 2003 2:17 am

bcusick wrote:I'm not sure if the "text" datatype gets mapped to the variable "text" datatype in Postgres - that's a question for someone deeper in the "guts" than I.

Apparently not, because the text field that I just created and populated with data does not appear in dataproviders.
Charles Lewis
Keene, TX 76059
saltheart

Postby Jan Aleman » Thu Apr 24, 2003 2:02 pm

You can use a postgresql text field. In the Servoy 'Define dataprovider' dialog only the basic datatypes are provided to ensure compatability with all major databases. You can however create a text field directly in postgresql, you will have to restart Servoy in order to make it reload the column information, once you do so it will work perfectly. You can also map (in Preferences, DB Servers, advanced) the text datatype (servoy) to text (postgres)in which case all text fields you create in Servoy will become text in postgresql.
Jan Aleman

Database (Driver) Options

Postby saltheart » Thu Apr 24, 2003 5:59 pm

jaleman wrote:You can also map (in Preferences, DB Servers, advanced) the text datatype (servoy) to text (postgres)in which case all text fields you create in Servoy will become text in postgresql.

When I went there, only the firebird and informix drivers were showing up. Then I noticed that somehow the dbserver itself had been changed to firebird settings. Must have happened when I created my last dbserver somehow. Anyway, I changed it back to postgres, restarted servoy, and Voila! I did have to change the default mapping from varchar to text, but it now sees the text fields.

In addition (and this was a pleasant surprise), I discovered that I could now specify the displayType as 'RTF_AREA" and scrollable to get the vertical slider and wrappable functionality that I was looking for. 8)
Charles Lewis
Keene, TX 76059
saltheart

Glad to hear it!

Postby edward » Thu Apr 24, 2003 6:09 pm

Chas
Great news! Don't you just LOVE that RTF_area feature!
edward

Return to Forms