TIP: Displaying row numbers with the Data Grid

Questions and answers on designing your Servoy solutions, database modelling and other 'how do I do this' that don't fit in any of the other categories

TIP: Displaying row numbers with the Data Grid

Postby steve1376656734 » Fri Aug 23, 2019 3:54 pm

Hi,

I had a requirement to display row numbers when showing data in the AG data grid and I could not find a simple way to achieve it. In our old web-client solution I simply used a table view form and one of the fields displayed %%currentRecordIndex%% but with the new data grid in NG client I couldn't see how to use that without adding a calculation to the table that returned the foundset index and didn't want to do that for all my tables. Having researched it a bit on the web I came up with the following solution:

• Add a column to the grid (I always make this the first column)
  • In the column properties click the columnDef and add three properties named lockPosition, suppressNavigable, and valueGetter
  • Expand the columnDef node and set the property values to true, true and 'node.rowIndex + 1' respectively (Servoy will add the quotation marks for you)
  • Change the showAs property to html
  • Change the width of the column to suit the number of rows you expect in the table. 50px is enough to show a 3 digit number if the font size is 12px but experiment to suit your current styling
screenshot.jpg
screenshot.jpg (68.76 KiB) Viewed 1448 times

Resulting output:
row_numbers.jpg
row_numbers.jpg (113.51 KiB) Viewed 1448 times

I hope this is not a sledgehammer to crack a nut and if there is some simple way to achieve it then please feel free to update this thread.
Steve
SAN Developer
There are 10 types of people in the world - those that understand binary and those that don't
steve1376656734

Return to Programming with Servoy