Create password protected zipfile

Questions and answers on designing your Servoy solutions, database modelling and other 'how do I do this' that don't fit in any of the other categories

Create password protected zipfile

Postby wouter » Tue Sep 15, 2020 5:28 pm

Hi,

I am looking for a solution to create a password protected zip-file. My solution creates a file that is send as an attachment to a external email-address outside my direct control. The attached file contains sensitive information and the file needs to be protected.

I know how to create a zipfile using the svyUtils scope, but this will not put a password on the file. Anybody have a good idea/best practice to get this done? There are u number of options here where I encrypt the file before compressing it but I am looking for an elegant solution that does not burden the receiving system with too much added complexity.

Any help or tips would be appreciated.

W.
wouter

Re: Create password protected zipfile

Postby sean » Tue Sep 15, 2020 6:18 pm

Hi Wouter,

The svyUtils extension is based on what is available in the base Java Runtime (JRE>java.uitl.zip).
Also, standard zip encryption is weak and easily hacked.

This can be done with a 3rd-party, open-source java lib, zip4j.
There is an article about it here.

Java can be executed directly in Servoy's code editor (with a little classpath prefixing).

Also, you would have to include the binary distribution in your classpath (i.e. servoy plugins folder)

Hope this helps.
Sean
Software Engineer
Servoy USA
sean

Return to Programming with Servoy