Controlling output with XML

Questions and answers on designing your Servoy solutions, database modelling and other 'how do I do this' that don't fit in any of the other categories

Controlling output with XML

Postby Riccardino » Sat Mar 12, 2005 11:18 am

Hi,

is it possible to write a stylesheet that generates a document (in pdf or rtf or MS Word or any other format can handle styled text and images) with highly customized settings?

For instance: if a customer wants his logo (places in a media field) in the upper left corner and another customer wants it in the footer, is it possible to obtain the output without having to create 2 different forms in Servoy?

This would be great, but I don't know if I'm asking too much...;-)
ciao, ric
Riccardino

Postby bcusick » Mon Mar 14, 2005 8:23 pm

I think what you're really looking for is an XSLT transformation (where the "raw" XML is then merged with a particular output style).

I don't think we support XSLT transformations at the moment (at least not in a single method).
Bob Cusick
bcusick

Postby Riccardino » Mon Mar 14, 2005 9:04 pm

bcusick wrote:I think what you're really looking for is an XSLT transformation (where the "raw" XML is then merged with a particular output style).

I don't think we support XSLT transformations at the moment (at least not in a single method).

I was exactly asking for that: it would be nice to have it :-)
Anyway, since I know XSLT transformations can turn a raw data XML output into a pdf, a word document, an Excel worksheet etc., I'm not sure it allows to dinamically place a graphic object inside the document...
If it doesn't, you can use this technique only to create generic documents: a good option, but I was looking a way to customize output without having to modify the forms or create new ones.

PS I know: I'm a lazy boy...;-)
ciao, ric
Riccardino

Postby patrick » Mon Mar 14, 2005 9:11 pm

Just a thought: Word knows XML very well since Office 2003 (except that MS "invented" their own grammar). So you could create a Word document that looks however your customers like and replace placeholders in that.
patrick

Postby bcusick » Mon Mar 14, 2005 9:36 pm

Riccardino wrote:PS I know: I'm a lazy boy...;-)

Aren't we all? :D

I think it's a good idea... and I'm sure it's doable, and I'm sure someone somewhere has a bean that will do it... but I'm sorry that I can't give you a more "solid" answer.
Bob Cusick
bcusick

Postby Riccardino » Tue Mar 15, 2005 1:05 am

patrick wrote:Just a thought: Word knows XML very well since Office 2003 (except that MS "invented" their own grammar). So you could create a Word document that looks however your customers like and replace placeholders in that.

It would be a good idea if only Microsoft was at least compatible with itself.
Try to open a Office 2003 Xml file with Office X 2004 (the newest version for OSX) and see what happens... :-)
ciao, ric
Riccardino

Postby Riccardino » Tue Mar 15, 2005 1:09 am

bcusick wrote:
Riccardino wrote:PS I know: I'm a lazy boy...;-)

Aren't we all? :D

I think it's a good idea... and I'm sure it's doable, and I'm sure someone somewhere has a bean that will do it... but I'm sorry that I can't give you a more "solid" answer.

Well: it's a starting point. ;-)
I'll try to search into the ocean of available beans and see if there's something that can do the job...
ciao, ric
Riccardino

Return to Programming with Servoy