Jan's n_m_demo solution

Questions and answers on designing your Servoy solutions, database modelling and other 'how do I do this' that don't fit in any of the other categories

Jan's n_m_demo solution

Postby chris » Thu Jan 08, 2004 8:27 pm

Hi - (is this where I post repository and development question?)

I downloaded Jan's n_m_demo solution and imported it and was delighted to see that it also created the tables needed for the solution. So when you export/import a solution, will it always include the table and field structure as well? I had thought it only included the logic, not the tables.

Could you please provide an explanation of what's actually included in the repository?

As a developer if I'm working from a firebird database and then port my solution to a customer, will it create new tables as needed? What if tables are already there - how would that work (I assume it wouldn't overwrite or modify table structures..)

Thanks.
chris

Postby Jan Aleman » Fri Jan 09, 2004 4:54 am

If the required table structure is not available Servoy will create it automatically for you. If columns are missing Servoy will add them for you. Servoy will not delete columns (for example if the imported solution has less columns than the server you are importing into) to avoid the loss of data.

In the repository, which is a set of tables, Servoy stores all information about a solution, for example for a field: where is it placed and all it's other properties of a field. It does this for all possible elements and methods you use in a solution.
Jan Aleman
Servoy
Jan Aleman

Postby chris » Fri Jan 09, 2004 6:06 am

Thanks Jan. This is great news for the development environment. Is there a place in the documentation where this is extensively documented? If so, happy to be referred there. For example:

1) What if I want to develop my solution in modules: a contact module, an invoicing module, a fundraising module, a program management module - and separately mix and match each so that I deliver to one client a solution with just the contact module and the invoicing module while I deliver to another client a solution with all modules? How would this be accomplished in Servoy? Can I combine modules and then separate them later into their component parts easily? This would be fantastic.

2) Does an imported solution always create tables in "User Data"?

3) If a table named "People" is already in User Data and you import a solution with a table named "People" that has additional columns, will it always just add columns rather than make a new table?

Thanks.[/url]
chris

Postby Jan Aleman » Fri Jan 09, 2004 6:37 am

1) Development in modules is currently not supported but it is on our list to get that in.

2) No, by default it will use the same named connection you developed it in. If it does not find that connection in the target server it will prompt you to choose a connection.

3) If you expect conflicting tablenames make sure to use a separate named connection to avoid this otherwise tables with the same names but other meaning might be altered.
Jan Aleman
Servoy
Jan Aleman

Postby Harjo » Tue Feb 17, 2004 3:18 pm

1) Development in modules is currently not supported but it is on our list to get that in.

any new on this one?
Is there any news about a wishlist, you can vote on?
Harjo

Postby Jan Aleman » Tue Feb 17, 2004 3:25 pm

No news at this moment. As soon as we do have news we will post immediately, no need to post on posts.

Right now priority No.1 is to get 2.0 out of the door. After that we will inventarise based on everybodies input what will get developed first and as soon as we know we will post it.
Jan Aleman
Servoy
Jan Aleman

Return to Programming with Servoy