Data Change Tracking Using Extended Security?

Questions and answers on designing your Servoy solutions, database modelling and other 'how do I do this' that don't fit in any of the other categories

Data Change Tracking Using Extended Security?

Postby Kahuna » Sat Sep 27, 2008 5:53 pm

Another basic question I'm afraid - appreciate any feedback...

I'm considering the best way forward in developing the app security, whilst keeping in mind the effort involved in developing a generic Data Change Track log.

Using basic Servoy 'Group / User' security it seems I can have all data changes logged to a Log_Server. That's a great option, and one I'd prefer to take if only to avoid the necessary extra work of coding a log routine(s) and proving all data changes are captured!

However I also need some extended security info such as SaaS Id's and some ability to allow Client 'Admins' to set some form permissions based on Groups etc. The model suggested by Adrian McGilly and also that described in Bob Cusick's videos seems the likely approach.

Question is, can I combine the extended security using 'users and groups' tables, with the built in Servoy Logging?

I'm going to give it a go and see where it takes me, but figured some of you will almost certainly have been through this loop already :wink:

Any useful guidance gratefully received...
(Servoy Version: 6.0.7 Win XP / 7 - SQL Server 2008 R2)
Ian Cordingley (Kahuna)
Kahuna

Return to Programming with Servoy