Question about Valuelists

Questions and answers on designing your Servoy solutions, database modelling and other 'how do I do this' that don't fit in any of the other categories

Question about Valuelists

Postby jasantana » Fri Aug 20, 2010 10:55 am

Hello,

I have a little question about Valuelists.

In all the example solutions that comes with Servoy I see that the way to relate a form table with a secondary one is using a Valuelist with a COMBO or TYPE-AHEAD. So far so good, but what happens if the related tables contains about 25.000 records or if the way to type the id of the related table be with a bar code reader (an articles table). Doing that with a COMBO is not the best idea, I guess.

I´m sure that the way to solve this is placing code in the onDataChange of the TEXT. Right, but can you give me an example of this. ¿What code should I use to locate a record in a tables that is not the master table of the form?

Supose a table that contains the order items (order_items table). I place a TEXT to locate the article (articles table) to be ordered, that text expects to receive the bar code of the article (it´s not the PK of the articles table). Could you please show me some code?

Thanks in advance.
Best regards,
Juan Antonio Santana Medina
jasantana@nephos-solutions.co.uk
Servoy MVP 2015
Servoy 6.x - Servoy 7.x - Servoy 8.x - MySQL - PostgreSQL - Visual Foxpro 9
jasantana

Return to Programming with Servoy