Using Servoy Developer remotely

Questions and answers on designing your Servoy solutions, database modelling and other 'how do I do this' that don't fit in any of the other categories

Using Servoy Developer remotely

Postby Westy » Mon Apr 12, 2004 2:52 am

I find that Servoy Developer works well remotely. This allows me to work on a solution in the office. Then later from home if I think of a change that needs to be made, I can open the solution with Developer from home and make the required change to the solution in the office.

However, even though it seems to be working fine, I want to make sure I am doing this properly. To set this up, all I did was install Servoy Developer at home and add connections (from my home installation) to my solution database files that are physically located in the office, under the Application Preferences DB Servers tab using the static IP address of my office computer instead of "localhost". I also replaced "localhost" with the remote IP address under the "repository_server" connection. This allows me to connect directly to the solution that is located in my office.

My question is whether I should also change the IP address on the "log_server", "migration_server", and "user_data"connections to point to my office computer? I would appreciate a brief description of what each of these connections does, and whether or not I should leave them set to "localhost".
Westy

Postby jcompagner » Mon Apr 12, 2004 8:17 am

the situations you describe works fine.

You only have to make a connection to the repository db. And ofcourse the servers you make use of in youre solution.

user_data is for example the database we included so that developers could use that one quickly for there own tables. But if you didn't use that server in youre solution then it doesn't matter.

log_data is used when you are using the logging/tracking feature of servoy (see security dialog and then tables). So pure for developerment you won't have to point to the remote server for that. The same goes for migration
Johan Compagner
Servoy
jcompagner

Return to Programming with Servoy