what factors most affect solution load times

Questions and answers on designing your Servoy solutions, database modelling and other 'how do I do this' that don't fit in any of the other categories

what factors most affect solution load times

Postby drookwood » Fri Jun 25, 2004 3:35 pm

As my solution grows bigger the amount of time it takes to load over an internet connection is increasing - no real surprise there, but I would be interested to know what factors make the biggest difference to this - is it number of forms, number (and length) of methods, table size, number of tables / fields etc.
David Rookwood

SAN Developer
drookwood

Postby ebrandt » Fri Jun 25, 2004 4:53 pm

I would be courious to hear the answer to this question too. How big is your current solution and how long does it take to load?
ebrandt

Postby drookwood » Wed Jun 30, 2004 10:52 am

currently my solution has 38 tables and 149 forms - I haven't counted the number of fields / methods .

On a 56k dialup connection it takes nearly a minute to load after initial log-in. This is for second and subsequent loads - the first load for a solution or follwoing an update always takes much longer, about 3 mins.
David Rookwood

SAN Developer
drookwood

Postby Jan Blok » Mon Jul 05, 2004 1:45 pm

The total element count is what matters (forms/fields/buttons etc.)
If you start a client it will download the solution once and never again (if no changes are made on server) the solution is stored in the userdir/.servoy on windows like "C:\Documents and Settings\<yourname>\.servoy" so you can check how big it is as file to give you an idea.

:!: Performance tip: for use over the internet use SecureSocketLayer (enable via the admin page) this will speedup the download (compress the solution) and all the client/server data transfer is secure.
Jan Blok
Servoy
Jan Blok

Postby drookwood » Mon Jul 05, 2004 11:27 pm

thanks jan
David Rookwood

SAN Developer
drookwood

Return to Programming with Servoy