Servoy on M1 Mac

Questions and answers on designing your Servoy solutions, database modelling and other 'how do I do this' that don't fit in any of the other categories

Servoy on M1 Mac

Postby bevil » Thu Sep 15, 2022 3:32 pm

Hi All..

I have been very busy with other things recently, but two clients have asked me to make some modifications to some of their smart client Servoy solutions.

I have recently upgraded my Mac to a MacBook Pro M1 Max, and obviously my OS to Monterey

I figured I would get the latest version of Servoy, so I downloaded that. Installed it, backed up, reused (and upgraded) my previous workspace, installed the mysql driver (my solutions use Postgres, but one link for a cms uses mysql), and recreated my database connections. All good so far.

I then activated one of the solutions - all good, and tried to run it in smart client and it is all over the place. graphical glitches, half the data providers missing, artefacts left behind when resizing the windows etc.

I guess my question is, does Servoy still work on a Mac to build smart client applications ? I tried opening my solution in NG desktop client, and that similarly has countless missing elements, doesn't look anything like my solution etc. My problem is that I just need to make a few changes to my solution (one of which is very recent, running from a tomcat / warfile install). I just can't face endless upheaval trying to troubleshoot Servoy on my development machine.

Is it all still viable?

Thanks

Bevil
bevil

Re: Servoy on M1 Mac

Postby swingman » Thu Sep 15, 2022 4:19 pm

Hi Bevil,

there is a long thread elsewhere on the forum about M1 Macs and what versions of Servoy work and don't work, also on how to install alternative versions of Java to get things to run properly on specific versions.
Christian Batchelor
Certified Servoy Developer
Batchelor Associates Ltd, London, UK
http://www.batchelorassociates.co.uk

http://www.postgresql.org - The world's most advanced open source database.
swingman

Postby mboegem » Thu Sep 15, 2022 5:34 pm

Hi Bevil,

The graphical glitches are probably a result of the Java version that Servoy has embedded by default.
See also my answer here: viewtopic.php?f=22&t=23603

You're mentioning your clients are in need of modifications, but I assume they're not running the latest version of Servoy.

I'm running various versions of Servoy myself somewhere from version 7 up to the latest version.
The latest versions do have a native ARM build, which is Servoy on steroids on a Mac.

The older version are only suitable for Intel processors and on an M1 this means you will have to point them to an Intel (x64) Java version.
Personally I have the best experiences with Java versions from https://www.azul.com
When using an Intel Java version, the JVM will run using Rosetta 2 and so will Servoy. Not an ideal world, but it definitely works.

My suggestion would be: install the version of Servoy that you need for your customers, install the correct Java version and do whatever you need to do.

Hope this helps
Marc Boegem
Solutiative / JBS Group, Partner
• Servoy Certified Developer
• Servoy Valued Professional
• Freelance Developer

Partner of Tower - The most powerful Git client for Mac and Windows
mboegem

Postby jan » Mon Sep 19, 2022 4:57 pm

bevil wrote:Hi All..

I have been very busy with other things recently, but two clients have asked me to make some modifications to some of their smart client Servoy solutions.

I have recently upgraded my Mac to a MacBook Pro M1 Max, and obviously my OS to Monterey

I figured I would get the latest version of Servoy, so I downloaded that. Installed it, backed up, reused (and upgraded) my previous workspace, installed the mysql driver (my solutions use Postgres, but one link for a cms uses mysql), and recreated my database connections. All good so far.

I then activated one of the solutions - all good, and tried to run it in smart client and it is all over the place. graphical glitches, half the data providers missing, artefacts left behind when resizing the windows etc.

I guess my question is, does Servoy still work on a Mac to build smart client applications ? I tried opening my solution in NG desktop client, and that similarly has countless missing elements, doesn't look anything like my solution etc. My problem is that I just need to make a few changes to my solution (one of which is very recent, running from a tomcat / warfile install). I just can't face endless upheaval trying to troubleshoot Servoy on my development machine.

Is it all still viable?

Thanks

Bevil

We (me and various team members) run Servoy on M1 the entire day and it is by far the most stable and fastest mac experience in 20 years. If you are still on Smart Client it is time to upgrade. I mean: are you still running on an iphone 3 as well?
co-founder Playbookify
Follow our journey of creating a SaaS company from scratch at https://inside.playbookify.io
jan

Return to Programming with Servoy