Date Import Problem

Questions and answers on designing your Servoy solutions, database modelling and other 'how do I do this' that don't fit in any of the other categories

Date Import Problem

Postby ebrandt » Thu Jul 15, 2004 7:56 pm

In servoy I have a datetime field , in filemaker I have a date field and time field.
I am importing from an excel file

For my initial import I only wanted to import the Date field only into the datetime field in servoy. I selected the correct date format in the import dialog screen M-^Smm/dd/yyyyM-^T.

After my import, the date fields were empty.

If I got this working I was going to then merge the date and time fields prior to import.

I could not find anything in the documentation except for the conversion chart. It seems that it is a rather straight forward import, what am I missing?

Thanks,
Erich
ebrandt

Re: Date Import Problem

Postby Westy » Fri Jul 16, 2004 12:09 am

ebrandt wrote:For my initial import I only wanted to import the Date field only into the datetime field in servoy. I selected the correct date format in the import dialog screen M-^Smm/dd/yyyyM-^T.

Were all the dates that were exported from FileMaker in exact mm/dd/yyyy format or were some like 1/1/2004? If this is the case then you may have to specify the mm/dd/yyyy format within FileMaker by selecting the date field in layout mode and assigning it the appropriate date format, including leading zeros. Then in the export dialog be sure to check-off the option to export with the format of the current layout. That should force your dates to all export as mm/dd/yyyy.

You may also have to make sure that all dates entered are legal dates. Remove the bad ones before you export. Sorting by the date field might help you find the bad ones. As long as all exported dates are in true mm/dd/yyyy format and the dates are real dates, then they should import. At least that has been my experience.

You did not mention how many records you need to import. If you have a large number of records, be sure to use Sybase Central. It is much faster than trying to import from within Servoy.
Westy

Postby ebrandt » Fri Jul 16, 2004 1:12 pm

You are correct about the filemaker format, I do need to add leading zeros. It was about 5000 records, It imported fine using a DTS package into SQL.

It just seemed that It should work fine if the back end accepts the import.

Thanks for the help.
Erich
ebrandt

Return to Programming with Servoy