Creating A Search Form

Questions and answers on designing your Servoy solutions, database modelling and other 'how do I do this' that don't fit in any of the other categories

Creating A Search Form

Postby crempp » Fri Jul 16, 2004 11:44 pm

I am having trouble finding the best way to implement a form for creating lookups.

I have created a form with fields that will be filled in with the search criteria. Then when done searching I would like the result to be displayed in a list (portal) on the same page. Also I need the ability to go through the list and manually omit records.

I don't know the best way to do this. I figure storing the foundset in an array or in a lookup table i created on the database would be a good idea.
crempp

Postby Westy » Sat Jul 17, 2004 2:42 am

Have you seen Matt's excellent "Cool RapidSearch Technique" movie at:

http://forum.servoy.com/viewtopic.php?t=611

It's tops.

The only thing I would add is that you can also easily re-use a search form over and over again for different situations by hiding, showing, and repositioning fields and other form elements on the fly. Servoy's great!

Dean
Westy

Postby crempp » Sat Jul 17, 2004 9:38 pm

That video is great, I would love to see more. It cleared up a few points on searching for me. In the video it looks like he has a form based on the table of the "mag_users" which is what he is searching through. He arranged the form with a header for all the details of the selected user and the body is the list of users that show up in the search. I never thought of using a header in this manner :oops: . I think this may solve all my problems.

Thanks so much.
crempp

Return to Programming with Servoy