Related Value List Question

Questions and answers on designing your Servoy solutions, database modelling and other 'how do I do this' that don't fit in any of the other categories

Postby rochard » Mon Aug 09, 2004 5:17 am

Two tables, Projects and Waves. Relationship from Projects to Waves allows creation of related records. Have value list which uses that relationship and which should display all of the wave #s used. However the value list displays no values. Any suggestions as to what I am doign wrong? TIA
Michael Rochard
rochard

Postby Harry Catharell » Mon Aug 09, 2004 11:16 am

Assuming that you have modified the valuelist property of the target field, have you also changed the field display type to : Combo, Radio or Check box ?

Cheers
Harry
Harry Catharell

Postby rochard » Mon Aug 09, 2004 3:07 pm

Yes, I've tried all combinations of the disply type but no values iwth any.
Michael Rochard
rochard

Postby Harry Catharell » Mon Aug 09, 2004 3:23 pm

Time for some more background info then !

Version, platform ......?
Where is the valuelist defined (Projects or Waves) ?
How and why is the valuelist being used (e.g. in Projects or Waves, attached to a global/normal field etc) ?
Example solution exhibiting this behaviour ?

Any other pertinent details ?

Harry
Harry Catharell

Postby rochard » Mon Aug 09, 2004 3:40 pm

Harry Catharell wrote:Time for some more background info then !

Version, platform ......?
Where is the valuelist defined (Projects or Waves) ?
How and why is the valuelist being used (e.g. in Projects or Waves, attached to a global/normal field etc) ?
Example solution exhibiting this behaviour ?

Any other pertinent details ?

Harry

Version 2.2.0.4, Windows XP. The value list is attached to a normal text field in a 3rd table (Revisions) which is related to the Project table and which needs to refer to waves that are affected by the Revision so it has to be a series of checkboxes. There is no direct relationship between Waves and Revisions. TIA
Michael Rochard
rochard

Postby Harry Catharell » Tue Aug 10, 2004 11:13 am

With that scenario and the relationships in place from Revisions to Projects and Projects to Waves then you should be able to show a related value list from the Revisions table !

From the post you made on tabpanel borders :
I have a master record (Project) which has x number of related records (Stages) and each of those records has x number of related records (Revision).

You mentioned a 'Stages' table as well and so I wonder whether the relationships are slightly different than I perceive from your post !?

Valuelists via relationship can pick up data from maximum two hops away (i.e. hop 1 is Revisions -> Projects, hop 2 is Projects -> Waves)

So the basic premise is that :
1) Projects have Revisions (1-M)
2) Projects have Waves (1-M)
3) The ProjectID is passed to both Revisions and Waves on record creation
4) There is also a relationship : Revisions -> Projects using the ProjectID (FK) in Revisions table -> ProjectID (PK) in the Projects table
5) The value list is set up using Related Values and the first relationship (i.e. hop) is : Revisions -> Projects and then, where it says 'No N-M Relation, you choose the relationship : Projects -> Waves from the drop down list. This then displays the field list from Waves for you to choose what to display and/or return into the dataprovider

Any other info you can share or example solution you can send which illustrates ?

Harry
Harry Catharell

Return to Programming with Servoy