Importing Data Conundrum

Questions and answers on designing your Servoy solutions, database modelling and other 'how do I do this' that don't fit in any of the other categories

Importing Data Conundrum

Postby rochard » Thu Sep 02, 2004 8:26 pm

I have exported a tab separated text file from FileMaker containing x number of fields. The last two fields are % fields (entered in FM as 0.12, etc and which displays as 12%, etc.). In the import dialog to Servoy those values show up as %'s and yet nothing shows up after the import is completed. The mapping is correct, the fields are not formatted to display in any particular way (although I did try it with them formatted as ###.00%. Servoy fields are both number ones. I also tried creating a text field calculation in FM that multiplies the % by 100 and adds the % sign to the end of the string but that didn't work either.

Any suggestions gratefully (and I mean gratefully) received.

TIA
Michael Rochard
rochard

Postby ebrandt » Fri Sep 03, 2004 3:21 pm

I had a alot of problem with dates and other text formatting issues from filemaker to servoy. I easiest way I found was to export the file from filemaker as xml, then you can import via servoy or directly into your backend.

Hope this helps
ebrandt

Postby rochard » Fri Sep 03, 2004 4:44 pm

ebrandt wrote:I had a alot of problem with dates and other text formatting issues from filemaker to servoy. I easiest way I found was to export the file from filemaker as xml, then you can import via servoy or directly into your backend.

Hope this helps

Interesting idea and thanks for the suggestion. Unfortunately I don't know anything about XML and just exporting the data in that format didn't give me any sort of expected result. Presumably this is to do with formatting it as a style sheet but I am at a loss here.

Thanks again.
Michael Rochard
rochard

Postby ebrandt » Fri Sep 03, 2004 4:53 pm

Create a script:

Export Records [Restore, "Filename.xml", "FMPXMLRESULT"]

You will see the options as you cerate the export script.

Make sure you create your found set first. After you run the script, open the script again, and save the expot order.

When you import the file, you will see all the field and the correct date formats. This also sloved a problem I had with lenghtly text fields that had tabs in them.
ebrandt

Postby bcusick » Fri Sep 03, 2004 8:20 pm

Also, when you export from FMP UNCHECK "Format according to current layout". That will give you the correct datatypes.

Bob Cusick
bcusick

Postby patrick » Fri Sep 03, 2004 11:01 pm

I import FileMaker Data all the time perfectly with MS SQL. You can define a data transformation service that does a nice job in pumping data from a to b and works quite well with FileMaker, too.
patrick

Return to Programming with Servoy