Where are Solutions Stored?

Questions and answers on designing your Servoy solutions, database modelling and other 'how do I do this' that don't fit in any of the other categories

Where are Solutions Stored?

Postby Dfehrenbach » Sat Sep 13, 2003 5:21 pm

I'm using Developer on a Win2000 Server. I would like to copy the solution to a laptop to work on it at home. Where is the solution stored and how can I get it from one system to another?
Dfehrenbach

Postby Jan Aleman » Sat Sep 13, 2003 7:04 pm

Solutions are stored in the repository. The repository is a set of database tables in which all information about your solution is stored. To move a solution to a different machine choose File-repository and export the solution. On the other machine import it into your repository.
Jan Aleman
Servoy
Jan Aleman

Postby DFehrenbach » Sat Sep 13, 2003 7:20 pm

Thanks for the quick reply. Please forgive these questions if they are too "newbie".
:oops: I got the solution exported and re-imported successfuly. Now, how do I get the test data from the server to the exported release?
DFehrenbach

Postby Jan Aleman » Sat Sep 13, 2003 7:35 pm

At this moment (sample) data is not exported with solutions. We are considering to add that feature in future versions. At this moment you will have to use your database backend tools to move table data from one place to another. If you are using the Firebird database that we ship with Servoy you can simply copy the GDB file from your databases directory.

ALWAYS make copies of GDB file before overwriting them, you won't be the first one accidently overwriting data and other solutions.

For example if you have created your tables in the user_data database connection you can copy USER_DATA.GDB to the other machine. It is not recommended to create data tables in the repository_server connection as your repository tables are also stored in that connection.
Jan Aleman
Servoy
Jan Aleman

Postby RobertMeyer » Thu Jan 15, 2004 8:16 pm

jaleman wrote:Solutions are stored in the repository. The repository is a set of database tables in which all information about your solution is stored. To move a solution to a different machine choose File-repository and export the solution. On the other machine import it into your repository.

does this mean that each time i download a new beta release
of servoy i have to export and re-import all the solutions i'm
working with?

rm.
RobertMeyer

Postby Jan Aleman » Thu Jan 15, 2004 8:37 pm

No, if you perform an upgrade Servoy will upgrade your repository if necessary automatically. Make sure to always make a backup before you perform an upgrade of both Servoy and your databases just in case things go wrong!
Jan Aleman
Servoy
Jan Aleman

Return to Programming with Servoy